Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iam going to install 8 sheet 4x8 5/8 quiet rock 530 to sound proof a master bedroom does any one has any idea how much is the installation of this drywall each sheet is 94.95 plus tax advise, always thank for any help. :Thumbs:

·
Banned
39 Posts
Does Quietrock install like reg rock - with screws or nails? I'm curious about the sound transmitting thru the fasteners.
R

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Maybe you should just quit making so much noise in there!

·
Registered
50 Posts
According to their website install is identical to regular drywall, other than having to cut the stuff differently (no scoring/breaking).

I was interested in this stuff at one time until I talked to a rep and he quoted me a price similar to yours. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
woah, at that price might as well use a plexiglass wall. Maybe some insulation along with that spray on car insulation to keep it quiet. I dont think walls are the problem at my house, the squeaky bed is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unless I was in a race, I wouldn't use the product. You waste 15% as scrap (any job will) and the product is lacking in the bass region of sound.

James

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is good, heavy and it works

iam going to install 8 sheet 4x8 5/8 quiet rock 530 to sound proof a master bedroom does any one has any idea how much is the installation of this drywall each sheet is 94.95 plus tax advise, always thank for any help. :Thumbs:

Quiet rock is similar to sheetrock. Up close, Quiet rock consists of (a Hardi backer board in the back and a 5/8" sheetrock on top of it). Of course there is more it than that. I'm just telling you what it looks like to me.

Regards,

Taylor

P.S. We have tested it out. When we were shouting really loud from wall to wall, we only heard as it was a whisper. As for the hitting again the wall, the material transfers the noise just as the same as it wasn’t there. I hope this helps. Oh yeah... this baby... she's HEAVY!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have used RC, QuietRock, SoundBoard. QuietRock is effective but very expensive and she's HEAVY! Lastly, RC channels can be short now and then.

Regards,

Taylor

P.S. If you have some extra time and don't mind wasting a couple inches for any rooms. You can put a 2x6 bottom plate and top plate with interchange 2x4 studs for any dividing wall and add two layers of 5/8" sheetrock, insulation on each side of the wall. This is the cheapest and effective way of not buying QuietRock. As for me I don't have this option, condo needs as much room as possible, especially here in California. The clients do not want to hear that they are losing a couple of each per room and etc... Not a good selling point.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
We always did sound rooms with 2" metal channel floating 1" from the wall, with two layers of rock... long as it floats the sound doesn't have much to travel through.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Slinger,

What is this 2" metal channel? Is this a 2" deep steel stud / track?

James
Yes, exactly. We did three sound studios, a TV editing room and several smaller jobs using that method. Nothing connects the "new" wall to the old, it floats.. much like a floating floor, it's connected but not with fasteners. Course this was a few years ago, not up on the newest sound technology but it works well. The air gap of 1 inch worked with 1/2 firerock at the time to bring sound levels to .02 dolby. The doors however, were expensive. You can find sound proofed doors/frames to fit the application, but they cost.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts