Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah...the folks at CT. It's good to read your posts again. Been tied up a while, but it's great to get back on here.

So I mentioned a while back that our home got flooded last year. I'm finally getting back to work after a full year of weeding through bureaucracy and rebuilding my home. It was one he// of a year; I'm halfway excited to get back at it..paycheck, headaches, and all! Anyway...

Any of you take a year off from the 'world' and successfully find your way back in?

I have 3-4 solid customers that have waited for me to finish my house to work on theirs. I've talked with them throughout the last year; and pushed them out longer than I had hoped. Some small jobs, some decent remodels, either way I'm glad they see something in my business; its only 3 years old (still a frickin toddler) in August so I'd like to think I have something going in customer service and maybe my ideas. 3-4 is not great I realize, but its something.

My phone rang throughout the year but I've had to turn down the jobs this last year. (I let go of a very nice commercial job as well.) No complaints about that...my kids have their beds back now. I don't have a lot on the schedule as of yet, but I have enough leads to get things going. It's slow getting back to the pace I was at before. I've been literally 'drowned' out in rebuilding our lives, so the battle goes on...

Tips and criticism? Any suggestions?

It's good to be back.

mark

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No worries...I'll take it over a Viqueen anyday!

My head has been going 400 miles a minute throughout this, which I suppose in the long run will only help. We made it through, but I don't wish it upon anyone. A serious nightmare.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The good thing is that I have one hell of a house to show for my last year. I've gotten to try a ton of things that I like to talk to customers about, so now I have some experience in many of them. We put in a Noritz on demand hot water heater, ICF foundation, soy based spray foam inso. For a big remodel, it was a great experience. It was good in that regard.

I really need to get back to learning. Maybe a class or a seminar on something energy wise. Hmmmm..

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
The good thing is that I have one hell of a house to show for my last year. I've gotten to try a ton of things that I like to talk to customers about, so now I have some experience in many of them. We put in a Noritz on demand hot water heater, ICF foundation, soy based spray foam inso. For a big remodel, it was a great experience. It was good in that regard.

I really need to get back to learning. Maybe a class or a seminar on something energy wise. Hmmmm..
My home is always my guinea pig if possible. I never feel right about learning on someone elses property.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts