Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a painting contractor. I need to hire a boiler man for regular servicing of my Trinity condensing boiler with a hot water diversion. What questions could I ask to insure the company I contract with is reasonably competent. The installers were far from and took 40 days for what was promised to be 3 days! AND they put the system together incorrectly to start. Only after photos were sent to Trinity did they fix it because Trinity said valves were not placed correctly. Prior to that they accused the HO of being crazy and the system that was not working was "Fine". I want to hire an other company for regular cleaning and service.

Any advice on interviewing the possibilities? Is 1 hour a good company? I generally prefer private/indy companies but there do not seem to be to many options in my area for high end boilers. :sad:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have to say, as crazy as this sounds, I think you or the h/o would be best served with the guys you didn't have a positive experience with. They know the idiosyncricies, of the install. Can that relationship be saved?

If not them, I would ask what company X's service plan consists of. Do they clean stuff? What does their checklist consist of?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What should the check list consist of?

I am the HO, and the swine that did the installation can not be trusted to be honest. The guy with the license to work gas boilers uses plumbers to do the actual work. He also sold me 3 new thermostats before I gave up,and had a guy come over 100 miles to figure out what was wrong. IT WAS NEVER THE THERMOSTATS! It was the badly set up sensor. I still paid for all those thermostats! I won't bother to list all the problems I had with these guys but every time the system malfunctions I get told I'm nuts until I get TSSA & Trinity to back me up. What possible good could they be to me. Worse, they could blow up the street. I was still having issues 6 months after instillation until I got the Toronto guy to come out here. He will not make a habit of it or the contract would be his already. (It still has to have a screen installed to keep junk out of the system) I would never allow those guys to darken my doorway, EVER, again.
(I understand they do good plumbing though.)

·
Super Moderator
11,945 Posts
Why do you consider yourself a visitor here? I think you are all good here as a contractor with over 200 posts.

As far as the dilemma, I'd ask your neighbors for referrals. If you ask 3 neighbors for referrals and the same name pops up twice, that's your guy.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laughing: Just a visitor to HVAC! I generally post on painting. That's my area & I know what to look for in a painter! I just don't need any painters, I have a Great painter in house! :laughing:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check list should consist of cleaning the condensate trap, check wire connections, and clearing of the flame sensor. Surely there are maintenance issues with the plumbing aspect as well, just don't know which things.
There is, it still needs a screen filter installed in to water feed pipe. So far as I know that's the only plumbing issue and still outstanding from the install.

I sent emails to everyone I know here that's within 50 miles. Not one has coughed up a name yet! Its not as easy as you might think to get a referral around here. After all, some of them must have boilers!

Thank you for that check list. Now at least I know what the answer should be when I ask. Also, they should mention the screen without my pointing it out, I think.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You want to find a company familiar with your brand of boiler.

You may want to go to Trinity's website and look for listed contractors in your area.
:rolleyes: Neither Trinity or their dealers will supply contractor names. The dealership told me if he gave me a name all his other "customers" would be ticked with him. Nor would he supply a list for me to choose one.

Makes me glad I'm a painter!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear that your project isn't going so well.
You have been gone a long time.
Ya, sometimes I actually have to work & it's been pretty busy this year. :thumbup: I really have no complaint now. I just want to keep up the maintenance so I continue to be content. My Toronto guy fixed all the stuff that was not right. I'd give my eye teeth to have him move into the area! He was truly GREAT! He only came as a favor but it's to far from him to be a regular gig.

·
Dr Heat
516 Posts
I am surprised Trinity doe not have a list of contractors who have completed factory training. Wiel McClain Gives my name out on a regular basis.

I would ask potential company's if they presently work on High Efficient boilers. Do they have training with trinity or are they familiar with the Trinity condensing boiler. This is a big problem in my area, High efficient boilers are not installed like the old cast iron beast they replace.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would ask potential company's if they presently work on High Efficient boilers. Do they have training with trinity or are they familiar with the Trinity condensing boiler. This is a big problem in my area said:
It's a real problem here as well! I finally got a name from a friend here who also got a new system 3 years ago. She said she's been happy with "Mr. Furnace One Hour" for the full 3 years. I signed up for their "Silver Club" and hope my worries are over. It's only taken me 2 years to find someone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts