Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Historic building, we got the call after two other contractors could not get anything to happen. Plan is to pour a floor, steel skeleton, LiteDeck second floof, and then LiteDeck roof. This is going to be a part of a new 6 unit upscale apartment.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More pictures out of order.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Built before state hood, brick is soft, like shale or sandstone. So I am building a steel skeleton, not what the last guy did, to support the second floor and concrete roof. The walls will tie to the frame to stabilize.

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I just have to quit using the cell phone camera. Bad pictures. I carry a digital camera and all I have to do it pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I unloaded the steel for the framing today...8 x 8 x 3/8 wall square tubes for columns, and 16 inch I beams for the spans to set the light deck on.

Pictures soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will fill the 8 x 8's with concrete just for fun. The second floor and the roof will weigh in at #90,000 each, so the 6 columns will support #180,000 plus the live load, plus stabilize the old building, which today I was informed was build it 1898...don't break it.

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
I did a 1897 10 story retrofit, 4mil in concrete, shotcrete is your friend. We have turned to it time and again for seismic and shear. Reinforcing crumbling brick. Even got away from epoxy doweling hooks because the wall was so frail. Shotcrete, it a beautiful thing.

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It doesn't seem like there is enough left of that building to be historic.

Why is it considered historic anyway? What was it?

Andy.
A territorial hospital and doctor's office. I agree...better off in the land fill...but.....I get paid to do what I do, not offer my own opinions. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As promised, better pictures. I am the third contractor to take this one on, the remnants of the last save are still in place in the first pictures. I watched this going on for a year, wondering what they were going to do, and now I know why I got the call... :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And a few more as we get steel support structure in place for LiteDeck and concrete second floor and roof, making the old brick building a facade on the steel frame. Then five two story apartments will be incorporated on the corner, mixing old and new.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts