Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a software that is easy to use to draw kitchen and bathroom layouts. I also need it to draw a site plan that I can use to pull permits. I don't want to have to hire a drafter to supply drawing when it's a simple bathroom layout. I have looked around online but most of them don't show that you can do a site plan. Does anyone have design software that allows this?

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
I'm looking for a software that is easy to use to draw kitchen and bathroom layouts. I also need it to draw a site plan that I can use to pull permits. I don't want to have to hire a drafter to supply drawing when it's a simple bathroom layout. I have looked around online but most of them don't show that you can do a site plan. Does anyone have design software that allows this?
Chief Architect or Home Designer is a little cheaper and probably good enough for what you want to do.

Both have trial versions you can try and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Home designer pro would work great for what you are looking to do. There is a learning curve as with any of these programs, but the mfg produces quite a few videos that are very helpful. Additionally, the mfg was great for me in answering any questions I had in the first year. I recently received a credit for the purchase of home designer pro towards chief architect and thought that was a great incentive to purchase hd pro.

·
Eater of sins.
4,710 Posts
Wha...what's wrong with hiring a designer in your area?

Andy.

in orange county...just south of you...close by....local...near by...convenient...reliable...not cheap...but a good value...

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
There is nothing magical about site plans. Any drafting software will do, really. With the exception of being able to use degrees, minutes and seconds for an accurate plan. That can be converted to decimal degrees easy enough.

Requirements for Site drawing CAD
-Proper line types or ability to create
-Hatching/Fill Capabilities
-Line Weights
-Ability to scale drawing for plotted output
**Ability to use degrees, minutes and seconds (Ideal)
See attachement

Previous suggestions are all good. Would add TurboCad to the list for what you're looking to do. Here's a Link showing features across their product line and costs. Did a TurboCad review for CGArchitect a number of years back. As an Autodesk Architecture/3D user comparing the two. TurboCad held up well.

....Or just use Andy :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I'm looking for a software that is easy to use
There aren't any that are easy to use. You really have to jump in with both feet if you want to get into CAD. For me, since I don't do a lot of design, I find it more proficient to get out a drawing board, T-square, pencil and get to work. Mainly since I already know how to do that and can do it fast. If you want to take the time to get proficient with CAD, well, it just takes a lot of time.

If you're determined to jump into CAD, I would start with Google Sketchup. Then try the addon that allows you to create 2D drawings more efficiently, I think it comes with Sketchup Pro for about $500.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts