Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I hope another company can come in and buy it before they sale it off in pieces. It amazes me how they can be $100,000,000 in the hole.

People are always so quick to blame the economy, but sometimes I think poor management has something has to do with it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
we had the same thing happen around here last fall minkato? stone shut down they were the co that did the stone for the twins new ball park it is like how.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I remember when I was an apprentice in New Jersey years ago.....we were building an elevator shaft addition to the town library. I asked what type of stone it was going to be and Roy, the man who taught me much of what I know about setting stone, said "Indiana limestone" with a certainty that let me know that Indiana limestone was the standard and that this historical building was getting the best stone......

Dave

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
The stone will come out of the ground again one way or the other. Going broke for a corp. is different then going broke for us.

american choppers filed bankruptcy and they are a pretty successful company. I dont know how it works.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I used to like the 1 1/2" stock for wall caps before pushing thermal blue and I always enjoyed working with it...a little soft for some of the things I do, but it seems to hold up well and age gracefully.

State Rd supply was our biggest supplier and I can remember how uniform their selection was. Never seemed to be a bad piece in the whole damn pile.

It'll continue to live on I'm sure, some how, some way...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Based on the Indiana reputation, could it be that all of the good stone was used during the decades and no competitor was willing to take over the property?

superseal - I know little about stone, but I do know where Street Road is. My wife is from Philly and could not why I thought the name Street Road was unusual.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
JBM said:
The stone will come out of the ground again one way or the other. Going broke for a corp. is different then going broke for us.

american choppers filed bankruptcy and they are a pretty successful company. I dont know how it works.
They filed too get a better loan rate on their building!!

They were getting ready to build a smaller one and got the new old one refinanced,
And probably to screw his kid out of money!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I've tried to throw work to limestone from Precast, everything end up at almost 2x to 4x the faux stone.....

The Local jobbers yard was/is like taking a trip in a time machine, last time I picked a load of stone for the University, I had to help fix the lift..

Our current Design build doesn't allow for the time needed to produce odd shaped pieces of limestone, the owners and designers piss away 9 monthes to a year with generalities, than balk at 4 extra weeks lead time for a premimun product.

Quite frankly, the current generation of buyers/designers/PM/general contractors don't have the skills/fore thought to bring slower but more durable and beautiful products to the table.

The Company that bought Victor and Indiana limestone appear to be typical buy it a part it out hacks, How current laws allow them to extract the $ from their victims companies inventory then bail when the notes come due, I can't understand. Or it could just be the massive increase in Mining regulations by the Obamanation Czars...
I hope all the workers pensions are funded...
Just drying out the Quarrys and the stones can take two years or MORE...

Concrete Masonry, As ~6% of Earth's Paleolithic atmosphere was 'sequestered" as limestone, I'm thinking 99.99% is still under ground waiting for a Mason's touch.

Around here quarries and gravel pits are declared "natural" treasures and turned into undevelopeable parks & refuges. Abandoned quarries can be a cheap water source for fracking etc..

·
Registered
1 Posts
limestone

JBM is right, there's no telling who will be running it, or how long it will take to get through bankruptcy and everything else they're dealing with, but they'll be back in one form or another within a couple of years. They're a competitor of ours, but the Indiana Limestone 'community' is a small one, and it doesn't make any of us happy to see a long-standing fabricator and quarrier go under like this. To clarify on some of the other things you guys are talking about though, there are still plenty of other quarries and fabricators in the Indiana Limestone 'Belt', and according to the best estimates, there's still at least 500 years worth of relatively easily accessible stone available in the ground (and a lot more than that in more difficult to quarry places..) So yeah, I'm biased, but just want to make it clear that 1 company going under doesn't mean the whole Indiana Limestone market is going under...

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're a competitor of ours, but the Indiana Limestone 'community' is a small one, and it doesn't make any of us happy to see a long-standing fabricator and quarrier go under like this. So yeah, I'm biased, but just want to make it clear that 1 company going under doesn't mean the whole Indiana Limestone market is going under...

:thumbsup:

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
bybeestone said:
JBM is right, there's no telling who will be running it, or how long it will take to get through bankruptcy and everything else they're dealing with, but they'll be back in one form or another within a couple of years. They're a competitor of ours, but the Indiana Limestone 'community' is a small one, and it doesn't make any of us happy to see a long-standing fabricator and quarrier go under like this. To clarify on some of the other things you guys are talking about though, there are still plenty of other quarries and fabricators in the Indiana Limestone 'Belt', and according to the best estimates, there's still at least 500 years worth of relatively easily accessible stone available in the ground (and a lot more than that in more difficult to quarry places..) So yeah, I'm biased, but just want to make it clear that 1 company going under doesn't mean the whole Indiana Limestone market is going under...
No it means their prices are going up!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts