Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read much of what you guys write and the knowledge is very high so this is where I am turning for help.
I am having a home built and the stairs that were ordered are not correct in my opinion. The stairs are oak (paid for that) and the top tread is sitting flush with the subfloor. This seems wrong, in my other houses the top tread was raised so wood floors could be butted up against it and be flush. Also a carpet and pad would be just about flush as well.
Essex homes is saying they order 2 different stairs on for wood upstairs and one for a rug upstairs! That sound rediculous to me, I say that I cannot add wood floors in the future because it would create a tripping hazard aswell as being unsightly.
I told them that on their own site they have a picture of how the floors should look and they told me that the reason thats the way it is, is because they use metal balisters not wood.

Please let me know if I am correct that the top tread should be elevated, is it always done this way, most of the time, hardly, only my 3 homes that I have owned.

Thanks very much Dave

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I read much of what you guys write and the knowledge is very high so this is where I am turning for help.
I am having a home built and the stairs that were ordered are not correct in my opinion. The stairs are oak (paid for that) and the top tread is sitting flush with the subfloor. This seems wrong, in my other houses the top tread was raised so wood floors could be butted up against it and be flush. Also a carpet and pad would be just about flush as well.
Essex homes is saying they order 2 different stairs on for wood upstairs and one for a rug upstairs! That sound rediculous to me, I say that I cannot add wood floors in the future because it would create a tripping hazard aswell as being unsightly.
I told them that on their own site they have a picture of how the floors should look and they told me that the reason thats the way it is, is because they use metal balisters not wood.

Please let me know if I am correct that the top tread should be elevated, is it always done this way, most of the time, hardly, only my 3 homes that I have owned.

Thanks very much Dave
There should be enough clearance to accomodate the flooring, whether carpet or wood, so that the finished floor is flush or close to flush with the top tread of the stairs, the carpet pile may be slightly higher which is Ok because it is a soft floor, but the wood floor should be flush.

The subfloor should not be flush with the trop tread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its just one opinion but THANK YOU for saying that, I have been banging my head on the wall over this for 2 weeks.
House is pre drywall so they can fix it but the project magager says "its too late even if it was wrong, which its not."
I really hate to say this but my next option is to lawyer up which is so stupid.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.