Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that someone here can help me out. I need to find out how deep someone would need to set rebar into a floor, for a non-loadbearing wall. Looking for code or explicit industry standards, preferably with a citation.

Thanks...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not my job actually, I'm helping a friend figure out liability before it ends up in court.

This was actually a demolition - the walls were 5' for stalls in a barn. They were set on pre-existing curbs and the rebar from the new walls was only a couple inches into the existing curbs. The braintrust doing the demo decided they didn't like taking these out one at a time and decided to take them three at a time. They cut them loose, hooked up a come-along and were shocked when the damned things came down like dominoes. Not just the three they had cut loose, but a few beyond those given the momentum.

There was someone working on the other side of the last wall to come down, who got his legs trashed by the wall - not to mention he was a couple steps up a ladder.

I haven't seen the site and probably won't - I've only seen pictures. But it was pretty obvious that there wasn't much rebar sticking out the bottom of the walls. The walls were 6" thick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I were a lawyer...

I am just a handyman that has little in the way of work lately and who is trying to keep a friend from getting screwed. I tend to suspect that the guy who was injured got injured because of negligence on the part of the idiots doing the demo - they think it was negligence on the part of the contractor who put up the walls.

The guy who got hurt works for my friend, who is liable if the demo people aren't. More to the point, he is out of business if the liability is shown to be his...

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
IMO if the demo contractor is independent and not working under your friend than he is liable. Now your friends employee is covered under WC right? they will take care of him, OSHA should be contacted to review the site, the policies and procedures available to the people working, will want to talk with the GC and review his policies, talk to the demo co.'s supervisor and meet with the injured employee.

Site should be ready to have someone working again in about 90-180 days since no one died.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts