Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!

I am a gardener in San Francisco, and I would like to obtain a C-27 license within the coming year. I have never worked for a licensed contractor, but I have the following experience:

• 3+ years experience with a professional SF gardener (not licensed)
• 2+ years of schooling: Associate Degree in Landscape Horticulture & Landscape Contracting from City College San Francisco.
• 5+ years experience running my own small gardening business
• Certified Urban Permaculturist via the SF Permaculture Guild
• Member of the San Francisco Professional Gardeners Association (SFPGA), San Francisco Permaculture Guild, San Francisco Urban Agriculture Alliance (SFUAA), student member of the CLCA

Is there any way that I can apply for a Contractor's License even though I have never worked for a licensed contractor? It seems counter-productive to place my very successful business on hold to gain an additional two years of experience under someone that is licensed (although I clearly see the benefit of training under someone that is licensed).

I have been told that homeowner clients of mine can sign off on my quality of work as general contractors, or that licensed contractors that know my work can vouch for my landscaping knowledge and skills. Are these things correct?

Thank you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts