Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ran across a RE investor this morning. I'm frustrated with his expectations regarding scheduling and at how little he was willing to pay. How do we get these investors to improve their attitudes and unwillingness to pay experienced tradesmen for quality work?
You do not. It is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain reasonable bid values from these low life scum that have been taught by some investor group that no contractor should charge over 12.50 an hour per man regardless of trade.
How to deal with them:
Explain that you always obtain permits, and the fees involved. Then explain that you file pre-lien notices and notices of commencement to protect the OWNER and Contractor from third party fraud. Explain the costs. Then tell them that you charge $150 per partial lien release and 100 per full lien release. Then explain the difference between T&M and bidding and change orders.
I guaranty that each of those you charge to every home owner in a remodel, why would you do less for some wealthy idiot attempting to screw you and the buyer?
I also guaranty that the MOMENT you mention pre-lien notices they will RUN. Ends the entire issue.

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,232 Posts
You do not. It is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain reasonable bid values from these low life scum that have been taught by some investor group that no contractor should charge over 12.50 an hour per man regardless of trade.
How to deal with them:
Explain that you always obtain permits, and the fees involved. Then explain that you file pre-lien notices and notices of commencement to protect the OWNER and Contractor from third party fraud. Explain the costs. Then tell them that you charge $150 per partial lien release and 100 per full lien release. Then explain the difference between T&M and bidding and change orders.
I guaranty that each of those you charge to every home owner in a remodel, why would you do less for some wealthy idiot attempting to screw you and the buyer?
I also guaranty that the MOMENT you mention pre-lien notices they will RUN. Ends the entire issue.
He was just joking :)

Reactions: 623Carpenter

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,644 Posts
How to deal with them:
Or just walk away laughing at them.

·
Registered
Custom
14,983 Posts
How to deal with them:
Isn't it easier to just say no?... :oops:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Flippers need contractors more than contractors need flippers.

Flippers call contractors, contractors don’t call flippers.

Nothing wrong with wanting to maximize profits, but flippers generally want to do it at the expense of others. That’s why anyone who has been around more than six months normally stays away from flippers. Flippers will take advantage of anyone who will let them.

Flippers need to mend their reputation a lot more than contractors do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to install crown moulding on cabinets for a friend that flipped houses. One I’m climbing up my 4’ ladder and use the top of the cabinet to balance myself, the cabinet pulled right off the wall. Took about a minute to find the stud to put a screw in.

·
Registered
Custom
14,983 Posts
If we look at his situation, we can understand why he decided. Immigrants are the ones who can do the work without problems because they need money and are under the control of the state. Many of them don't have parents who will give them money if they need to, unlike people who live in the country from the day they were born.
That's quite an oversimplified first post...

·
Registered
Custom
14,983 Posts
If we look at his situation, we can understand why he decided. Immigrants are the ones who can do the work without problems because they need money and are under the control of the state. Many of them don't have parents who will give them money if they need to, unlike people who live in the country from the day they were born.
If we look at his situation, we can understand why he decided. Immigrants are the ones who can do the work without problems because they need money and are under the control of the state. Many of them don't have parents who will give them money if they need to, unlike people who live in the country from the day they were born. After getting some investment help from Fundrise vs DiversyFund vs CrowdStreet, I also started my business as a real estate, and I can easily put myself in the shoes of your friend.
Gee, one of these things looks just like the other... from two different posters? and then a concealed Ad for a fund-raising site?

141 - 149 of 149 Posts