Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Makita, you clearly have an issue with the LXT 3.0ah (and 1.5ah) lithium batteries. Pictured below is some of my 18v LXT tools and 14 (3.0ah) batteries, ALL 14 of those batteries read as "broken" on the charger. So tell me Makita, how am I supposed to use the tools if the batteries are dead?

14 "broken" batteries, that is just unacceptable. A couple of these batteries were less than 3 months old when they "broke", that is REALLY unacceptable!

I encourage other members of this forum to list the number of "broken" batteries they have with their tools, maybe if we put it all together Makita will figure out that they have a problem and fix it. I will be linking to this thread on Makitas Facebook page (it'll probably get deleted but oh well).

·
Registered
57 Posts
2 of 3 for me, 1 at 3 months old and one at just over a year. Sold all of my lxt tools after the second one. As a comparison I've had 1 of 13 of my milwaukee m12 batteries fail most of which I had before buying the lxt kit and no failures of the 6 festool batteries I have.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Have you figured out common tools or conditions that the batteries die under?

·
Windwash
589 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up and I'm going to round up all of mine and test them this weekend. There is at least a couple out of 10 or so.

I sometimes would think it was the charger but never was sure.

We switched to using 3/8" corded drills for the screws on recent deck we were building because the impacts weren't cutting it. Temps in 20s-30s F.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We can debate proper usage, storage, etc in another thread, I think it would be good if we can keep this mostly to a count so that Makita can see this is a MAJOR problem.

I posted to their Facebook page and linked this thread on their Facebook page as well. I'm hoping that when the list is long enough they'll take notice. We're probably one of the biggest and most respected forums for contractors on the Web, let's use it.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I know heat is bad. Never really had that problem :laughing:

Leaving on a charger shouldn't be an issue today, but for what it's worth, Li-Ion batteries last longest if you store them around half full.

·
Windwash
589 Posts
We can debate proper usage, storage, etc in another thread, I think it would be good if we can keep this mostly to a count so that Makita can see this is a MAJOR problem.

I posted to their Facebook page and linked this thread on their Facebook page as well. I'm hoping that when the list is long enough they'll take notice. We're probably one of the biggest and most respected forums for contractors on the Web, let's use it.
How are you determining its the batteries and not the chargers?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had the makita lxt (impact and hammer drill/driver) and ran into the same problem batteries would just die for no reason. Both guns still work like a charm just I don't have a working battery for the drills. Not the charger either as a coworker keeps going back to Makita. I said screw and went with Hilti.

I know batteries hate being charged in direct sunlight and being over charged and I kept that in mind and still ended up with the same problem. A battery would just crap out, and I followed the manufactures recommendation of even quit using the battery before it completely died.

·
Super Moderator
44,090 Posts
I had four 1.5AH and two 3.0AH batteries, one of the 1.5AH batteries crapped out about 1 year in. So now I have three 1.5s and two 3.0s. I also have five 10.8v batteries and they are all still doing fine.

·
Super Moderator
44,090 Posts
You get three bad readings, then it won't charge anymore. The batteries have a chip inside them and once it is set as bad, that's it. So far there is no way to reset it back so the battery will charge.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lithion Batteries are pretty much bullet proof. I try to do as much reading on this as I could . Lithium is a very expensive source of power but very dependable but also very dangerous. What usually fails is the protection built into to them.Every manufacturer uses there own system. I have a Lithium battery for my Bicycle that cost almost $1000.00. It also has all of the electonics built into it.But it is protected buy a .20 cent fuse. I think if everybody chimes in on this issue Makita has got to do something and realize they have a problem.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

1 - 20 of 131 Posts