Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting pictures of this bathroom because it might help one of you guys get a job where the client wants or needs to be on a smaller budget. This bathroom is in a really nice 1960's era house and was actually really clean and neat... it was just really dated with the green wall tile and the tile surround.

I'm not sure why, but even though this was the main bath, these clients wanted to keep the budget low. My directive was to get rid of everything green, including the tub, tile, sink and toilet, but keep the vanity. The wall and floor tile were built on an old mortar bed, so the demo was gonna be dusty, HEAVY and down to the studs. Usually, in these jobs, I would strip the whole bathroom down to the studs, floor to ceiling. I find it more efficient to install new sheetrock than try to match and patch. Beside, I'm usually adding receptacles and lighting and such.

In this job, keeping in mind the customer wanted to keep the budget down, I suggested that I remove the old wall tile and install a bead board paneling and chair rail in it's place. It speeds up the rebuild tremendously and the chair rail base covers the transition from old to new. She had already told me she wanted a basic white "subway" tile which is really cheap but nice when used correctly.

She splurged when it came to the granite and chose an Absolute Black which was almost twice the budget but it really was striking agaisnt the white bead board backsplash.
Here are the before pics..... Sorry for the blurry pics.
WardB1lo.jpg

WardB2lo.jpg

Wardb3lo.jpg

WardB4lo.jpg

WardBlo6.jpg

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Nice work for a low budget. :thumbup: I'm confused by the floor tile pattern near the toilet. 12 x 12 brick everywhere, or did you also use a longer one near the toilet?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work for a low budget. :thumbup: I'm confused by the floor tile pattern near the toilet. 12 x 12 brick everywhere, or did you also use a longer one near the toilet?
No.. it's a brick pattern all the way through. When you walk into the bathroom with the shower on the right, it was about 3'2" (right to left) from the shower to the cabinet and about 6' to the toilet cut out, so I started the half/full tile butt up against the shower so that the 2" short piece was under the toe kick. Other than that, it's consistant through to the toilet.

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Nice job! Most of my baths are just like that and on a very small budget. I can appreciate what you did here. Original was very clean and in good shape, kinda of sad to see it go since it had character. Just tired and outdated. I'm sure you pleased the customer.

Is there a bead on the scribe below the wainscot against the granite? Might just be a reflection...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice job! Most of my baths are just like that and on a very small budget. I can appreciate what you did here. Original was very clean and in good shape, kinda of sad to see it go since it had character. Just tired and outdated. I'm sure you pleased the customer.

Is there a bead on the scribe below the wainscot against the granite? Might just be a reflection...
I used a piece of inside cove moulding to clean up the line between the granite and the bead board.

And yes, they were very happy and when I left she gave me an envelope with instructions to not open it until I got home, and this is what it contained. I really enjoy what I do and all my business is a direct referral from another client, so when things like this happen, I know I'll get a couple of jobs from this lady over the years.
notelo.jpg

I was asked about the budget. I quoted this project at $14,200 and had projected the materials to be at about $6,200 (including 20% mark up) with $8K labor. The final on the materials came in at about $5,300 (actual cost) with a budgeted item deduction of $300 because they changed the glass from, 3/8" with a door, to 1/4" frameless bypass, so the end result was a $13,900 job with roughly $8,600 net and it took nine days. My helper left me unannounced after day two to move to another state and go to work for his grandfather, so I did this job by myself which probably added a day or two to the project. I'm just glad we had done all the demo before he quit.

BTW... the original quote was actually less than this, but when she went to pick out the granite, she upgraded to a more expensive granite and I don't remember how much it changed.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I used a piece of inside cove moulding to clean up the line between the granite and the bead board.

And yes, they were very happy and when I left she gave me an envelope with instructions to not open it until I got home, and this is what it contained. I really enjoy what I do and all my business is a direct referral from another client, so when things like this happen, I know I'll get a couple of jobs from this lady over the years.
View attachment 105479

I was asked about the budget. I quoted this project at $14,200 and had projected the materials to be at about $6,200 (including 20% mark up) with $8K labor. The final on the materials came in at about $5,300 (actual cost) with a budgeted item deduction of $300 because they changed the glass from, 3/8" with a door, to 1/4" frameless bypass, so the end result was a $13,900 job with roughly $8,600 net and it took nine days. My helper left me unannounced after day two to move to another state and go to work for his grandfather, so I did this job by myself which probably added a day or two to the project. I'm just glad we had done all the demo before he quit.

BTW... the original quote was actually less than this, but when she went to pick out the granite, she upgraded to a more expensive granite and I don't remember how much it changed.
Your numbers are somewhat of a relief to me. For a previous client, I had lost a particular budget powder room job several months ago because of $$, apparently. It was making me second guess myself a bit at the time. Smaller room (40sf), but similar scope: replace 3 x 3 shower, pebble floor in shower, shampoo niche, etc, frameless door, light over shower, beadboard wainscot elsewhere, reroute some plumbing to back wall to accommodate pedestal sink, dress up a linen closet, paint. I was somewhere north of 10 and apparently not even close to their other bidder. Oh well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your numbers are somewhat of a relief to me. For a previous client, I had lost a particular budget powder room job several months ago because of $$, apparently. It was making me second guess myself a bit at the time. Smaller room (40sf), but similar scope: replace 3 x 3 shower, pebble floor in shower, shampoo niche, etc, frameless door, light over shower, beadboard wainscot elsewhere, reroute some plumbing to back wall to accommodate pedestal sink, dress up a linen closet, paint. I was somewhere north of 10 and apparently not even close to their other bidder. Oh well.
I wish every time i lose to a low bidder i could be a fly on the wall as the project moves forward. I have to believe there are change orders and price increases as the other contractor either missed something in his bid, or he bid low to begin with just to hike the price after he got the job. Or he's a newb and didn't change price and is kicking himself at the end of the job cause he made no money!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I wish every time i lose to a low bidder i could be a fly on the wall as the project moves forward. I have to believe there are change orders and price increases as the other contractor either missed something in his bid, or he bid low to begin with just to hike the price after he got the job. Or he's a newb and didn't change price and is kicking himself at the end of the job cause he made no money!
I was recently called back for other work there, so I got to see the final product. A couple things of note: some lippage in the 12x24 floor tiles (not too bad, but not too good). No door threshold w/ the edges exposed. Lousy hinge job on the linen closet doors. And best of all, I could see the obvious outline of the mosiac sheets for that pebble floor, I never said a word.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was recently called back for other work there, so I got to see the final product. A couple things of note: some lippage in the 12x24 floor tiles (not too bad, but not too good). No door threshold w/ the edges exposed. Lousy hinge job on the linen closet doors. And best of all, I could see the obvious outline of the mosiac sheets for that pebble floor, I never said a word.
Most of the time you get what you pay for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts