Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a kitchen I finished about a month ago. The client requested a toekick lighting and I ended up using a 12V LED with 3M sticking strip. It worked well and I hope it sticks for a long long time. I also used the same lights on the top of the cabinets.

Typical 1950's era house with plywood cabinets.

Here are the before and during....

Cabinetry Room Property Kitchen Furniture

Property Room Kitchen Cabinetry Furniture

Property Room Wall House Furniture

Property Room Floor Building Tile

Property Tile Room Floor Building

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I built new cabinets in my shop and we used a mocca colored glaze. This client wanted all drawers on lowers and she also requested a 39" finished height because her and her husband are both over 6' tall. Notice if you will the diagonal drawers in the lower corner base instead of a lazy susan. I also built a two piece upper corner door that hinges like the typical lower.

If you're loolking for the stove, it's now in it's own cabinet in the laundry room which is adjacent to this galey style kitchen. A free standing full height pantry fills what used to be an empty spot and a cabinet depth refrigerator with a panel completes the project.

...and here are the after.

Countertop Cabinetry Room Kitchen Property

Lampshade Lighting Window Lighting accessory Yellow

Furniture Cabinetry Drawer Chest of drawers Kitchen

Countertop Property Room Cabinetry Kitchen

Countertop Cabinetry Room Property Furniture

Countertop Room Cabinetry Property Furniture

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Like the lights....way to many drawers and the oven thing...hmm

How long did the build and finish take? Pics of the diagonal drawer open?
Don't have any, but I'll be back over there in a couple of weeks and I'll get a shot of them.

It took just over three weeks to build, prime, paint and glaze the cabinets including all the slow close hardware. The install and rebuild only took about 8 days. Most of that was because the walls were either concrete block, or poured, solid concrete walls. This house also has a bomb shelter like several houses in my hometown that were built during the 50's.

As far the drawers.... after building this kitchen, I'm planning a revisionn of my own kitchen to make drawers instead of cabinets. They have a ton more usable space than cabinets and as my wife and I age, it's easier to get to the most used items.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cook a turkey and do the laundry at the same time?
Yea... they only live in the house for two weeks at a time. They have a house in Fla. and split time between this house, Fla, and their beach house. She said they don't actually use the oven but a couple of times a year.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It's nice looking work, Kermie. I've seen ovens stashed in pantries and laundry rooms - usually high end double ovens, not used even once. In one house, with an otherwise completely conventional kitchen, the walk-in pantry had been turned into the owner's personal pastry-making kitchen, with marble countertops, cooling racks, etc.

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
I wanted to build my cabinets with all drawers on the lowers (except for under the farmhouse sink). The wife insisted on another door so I did it. After everything was installed and being used, she decided bending over to get to stuff behind that door was a pain in the ass and asked me to install two pull-out shelves behind it...

·
Registered
Custom
13,693 Posts
Nice job... :thumbsup:

Never understood the toe-kick appeal... just highlights the dirt... :laughing:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
Haha, that's what my wife said. I was like "hey, look at this picture, kinda cool huh?" "It would just show dirt..."
Sometimes little features like that get used when guests come over. You probably don't need toe kick lights while you're reheating your kid's pasta in your pajamas but maybe you'll flip it on for the next dinner party. I like it too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice job... :thumbsup:

Never understood the toe-kick appeal... just highlights the dirt... :laughing:
No.. this woman is the cleanest person on earth. A couple of days after we finished I went back to her house to drop off a cutting block we had made from the cook top cut out and she was on a ladder vacuuming the tops of the brand new cabinets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts