Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something I have been working on the past few weeks,,,,,

The blond is maple, the tan tone is African Koa , and the dark tone is Merbau..... All 3/4" assembled with TB III and biscuits #20's

This is going somewhere and I'll have that up when I get to that point...

It is defined as "tumbling blocks"....

B,

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
:laughing:Crystal Castles :laughing: .... Played the chit out it in the bar LOL a couple quarters and a few drinks at a time

·
Hack
3,010 Posts
Saw a similar design in the movie "Beetlejuice" when I was a kid.
I think yours looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Speakiing of games,..,,,your mind gets a little off center depending on where your standing.....:blink:

I am so tired of the simple , plain.....minutiae that I see where this is being "planted".......:rolleyes:..honestly....

And there is more....

I like a challenge ......;)

My thought.. " if its simple ,its not enough".......

I'll tell you this: I have had a serious relationship with my router station........

30 degree angles ......pretty simple...the key is to rip them off - patterned.......

And remember what direction the grain is going....

Fun project.....definitely enjoyed this one...

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
where it's at.....,.....one more top coat before the shoe goes in place,....well,....at least what I wanted for shoe............:thumbsup:

getting all that to fit was an interesting process, some of which you would have found hilarious.......

the router.......ah....:rolleyes: so mundane.......:rolleyes:
ahhh,....man ,...im done with that thing for a lONG LONG time...........:laughing:

the life we lead,,,,,,,,,,it verges on insanity at times....:rolleyes:

B,

·
Artist and not a curator
12,170 Posts
Are you putting those together as rows and biscuiting the rows together? Looks good and its the little intangibles that people don't think about when something like that has to "come together".

You made a tough job look easy. How does the Koa and merbau glue up with each other, a bit finicky?

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't have any issues with the glue up other than getting them together and clamped within the work time for the TB III . I'll have some finals of this when its all done,......

B,

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,600 Posts
Good idea. Is the design you made just glued to the floor? The rest of the floor nailed?
Can't speak for this project, but when we put in inlays, we glue them with bostiks best & put in a few finish nails to hold them in place while the glue sets. Our inlays come with a template I use to route into the already laid hardwood.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is not glued to the floor.......:no: the tumbling block assembly was biscuit joined & glued , then a groove milled into the entire perimeter after it was cut to size- a spline was inserted into the groove ,glued and then the inlay was toe nailed down to the floor.

I have pictures of this project and will have more,

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What's wrong with the color?....just curious why you think that Spence...:blink:

I think it goes very well- maybe it's my Camara , I just used my compact digital Camara.

It really doesn't look like that color in the picture.....to me anyways...

B,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts