Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy's thread had me thinking how good i had it today.

Went to a low rent hud complex to power wash off graffiti. Buncha kids out playing in the summer heat, ALL volunteering to help get wet. Thought "you know what, why not?"

So once i got it all hooked up I let a couple try to start it up by pulling the rope (I didn't tell em the switch was off so everyone could get a chance). Eventually after everyone had a turn, I fired it up.

Gosh darn it if i just kept losing my grip and spraying the kids :thumbup:

After making sure the walls were saturated as well as the onlookers, sure enough here comes the ice cream truck :clap: I think he knew what was up.

$30 later called it a day. Made alot of hoodrats day today. Sometimes you just gotta let the inner kid out:jester:

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I envy kids and how excited they get about little, stupid sh.t! I remember being a kid, seeing people using tools, trucks, whatever, and thinking It was pretty awesome. Good for you that you can have fun around the neighborhood kids and still get some work done

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, sounds like the kids had a great time. I think you might of gotten lucky though that some parent didn't get upset, or see an opportunity in the making, for "terrorizing" their kid with the sprayer.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This whole "event" maybe lasted an hour. Not one single parent came out sadly. I do a fair amount of work in this complex repainting the interiors. So I see this same group of kids playing together all the time. Ages 5-10 yrs old. Just out riding bikes, bouncing balls back and forth etc...

Yesterday was a charity day. I figured heck, I just bought a shiny new pressure washer so why not donate a day and clean up the property exterior. Once the kids came around I just winged it.

Kids can bring out the best in people.

I got a touching voicemail last night over this thread. I want to address your message, sir:

1) Thank you for your kind words. That took courage.
2) Pay it forward next time your on a job site with kids. 5 minutes of attention can go a long way in representing our trade (whatever trade it is) in a positive way that just may leave a positive enough impression to encourage them when they get older to do construction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts