Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to investigate a puddle in a playground. Puddle is right over an old (1960's) 2" galvanized water main.

A little shovel work reveals pipe that is pretty much shot. Multiple leaks.
Pipe ruptures about 3' away. Shut the main off.

Tell the school no water. Order Porta Potties that arrive 3 hours late due to a miscommunication between secretaries....:censored:

Order 10 cases of bottled water and 25 show up.

Get a Hoe & start digging. Also starts raining....130' of pipe needs to be replaced.

Principal that runs the pre-school calls me and says if there are not working toilets & running water pre-school needs to be cancelled. Schools DO NOT like to cancel as that is money.

Cut some plumbing loose & rig a garden hose to supply one set of bathrooms.

Supposed to rain up to an inch tomorrow....oh joy...:censored:

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Most of the people we do work for would want us to slap watermain repair clamps on and walk away. Dig under the pipe, slap it on, tighten 3 bolts, walk away. See you next week....

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
That isn't even close to a fuster cluck.

In fact it looks like an easy job.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
A little plastic, another day of the hoe and viola - pool for the kiddies already filled. They can charge extra for that too:clap: :laughing::no:

"I usually don't work in the rain but when I do I use hefty as a body prophylactic ...... Stay dry my friend."

·
Super Moderator
24,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That isn't even close to a fuster cluck.

In fact it looks like an easy job.
Inner, evidently you have never worked in a California school full of kindergarteners to 5th graders and all the associated staff....:censored:

Dam near anywhere else in the world this job wouldn't even get a mention on here...:whistling:laughing:

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Inner, evidently you have never worked in a California school full of kindergarteners to 5th graders and all the associated staff....:censored:

Dam near anywhere else in the world this job wouldn't even get a mention on here...:whistling:laughing:
Hey, what's that?
Get out of the hole kid.
Hey can I drive that?
Mrs. Ketterson, you want to grab this dear sweet child?
MY dad drives one of those only its BIGGER...

Here in Michigan, we'd never have a leak like that until mid-June - it would be that long before a shallow buried line would thaw out.

Man up, put the Mr. Rogers sweater on and git'r done!
:whistling

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

Correct,

Here that line would be three times as far down, we would run a temp 2" service on the surface, leave a tap running inside the school and tell them see ya all in the spring. :laughing:

·
Registered
400 Posts

I get it. Pretty much all we do is school work. Mostly new buildings, but I've Super'ed 4 or 5 big additions on schools while in session, from K through 12. Challenging, to say the least.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
27,507 Posts
Well, they cant all be winners, hoss.... :whistling:laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts