Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: I live in one of the last small counties on the east coast of FL, pop. 140K normally. It doubles in season. Our bldg. dept. is still pretty much good ol' boys.
I was contracted to build a small shed (16 X 22), drew up the plans, passed them through an architect who signed them off. Went through zoning, no problem and then hit the building dept. Hooboy!
The structure is torsion panel construction and no one had a clue as to what this was. One side has a covered potting station with a breakaway roofline, meaning that the roof can seperate from the building and go flat against the ground without taking the building with it.
It was all that I could do to keep from laughing as the guy looked it over and said 'I never heard of such a thang.' Glad to know that our bldg. dept. is up to date. LOL
The plans for a stupid shed are now under review.

Anyone else with stupid bldg. dept. stories? There must be a million of them.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Had a customer who worked for CAT 30 years. Nice black guy who wanted to renovate a very old home, in a very old historical part of town.

At first I was told, by building and zoning, that the historical commission would never let it fly. Thier requirements would run the project threw the roof$$$$$.

So I fell back on political Bob, one of my many split personalities, and political Bob marched down to the DA's office as well as the city administrator, the chief inspector, and a fella in zoning who had me install his new kitchen months later, political Bob went so far as giving a 45 min presentation at a commission hearing, I had them all laughing to tears, it was a good day.

Result: I'm the only contractor in or around Peoria IL who's ever been permited to use vynil sidding and windows as well as many other inovative products, on a historical project.

As the project progressed I found out why all the resistance in the begining from the city, the 'all white' retired neiborhood didn't want old uncle Tom moving in.
F#[email protected]!

I'm glad I got to be the thorn on that one.

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
LMFAO!!!!! That's a hoot! :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts