Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a neighborhood I do not work in, yet, but I want to weasel my way into. Great area for decks, very nice 15 year old houses that need replacements., ect. (My objective is to build large decks in this area.)

I have an opportunity to refinish a deck. It will require sanding a peeling finish and applying a new. I do not enjoy this particular work, I do not find it profitable, and do not wish to do much/any of it. (this is just my situation, I am not knocking anyone who does this work, and it can be good money for some)

Question:
Should I take the job and treat this as an opportunity to get some word of mouth and recognition in this neighborhood?
Or should I view this as just a job I don't want..... which may pigeon hole me and lead to more of the same jobs I don't want?

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I'd go for it, you are correct that it does get your foot in the door and could be beneficial to you in the future. If you get more calls for the same refinish work just give them options. "Well we can refinish (charge enough) for this dollar amount, but we can build you something new that won't need refinishing for this dollar amount."

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think you said it yourself-its an area you want to get into..I was in the same boat having done a small job for a very well known realtor just so she could see my work..

We shall see what happens as we just finished up. Im hoping she will refer me out. The job was small with a small profit..One thing i will never ever do- is take on a job that i cant make money on!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to do it. Do It.

If Ya don't, don't.

ghessssssssssss

JonMon
:laughing: Yeah, I get.

I do not want the job!

I want the job of tearing down and rebuilding the neighbors 700 sq. foot deck.

Will this pile of chit grow flowers, or just stink....

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
If you paint people will only call you for painting. You might get lucky and get some decks but I think its more likely all you will get is a rep for deck refinishing and an unprofitable job. Take a grand and hit the neighbor hood with post cards every month for ninety days. Have a ppc campaign narrowly targeting the same area.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Whatever you do to this deck the neighbors will want done.

Refinish it & they will use it against you. Meaning sally saw how nice you made Mary's deck, so why would she want a new one if you can do it for her too.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,831 Posts
Whatever you do to this deck the neighbors will want done.

Refinish it & they will use it against you. Meaning sally saw how nice you made Mary's deck, so why would she want a new one if you can do it for her too.
Not true at all. I just did a repair/refinish job & the neighbor came over wanting me to look at their deck. It was a treated pine pos deck, no hope for it at this point. She said they want a new deck using "trex" or a flagstone patio. Said her sister that lives around the corner will call too cause she needs something in her back yard.

Yesterday morning lady customer had a dozen friends over oohing & aahing over the "new looking" deck. A little eye candy for the crew really seemed to pick the boys spirits up.

And no reason why refinish jobs should be low paying jobs, you got to charge more than doing new construction decks cause it's a lot more work so charge accordingly.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It must depend on where you are - I agree with Metro and Driftweed. But obviously some others have had different experiences.

Do it if it's profitable.

If you think you're going to be able to up-sell the neighbors to new decks, why can't you do it with this customer?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Personally, I've found refinishing decks to be very profitable. Do I like doing them, no. But that's just part of the industry and I don't/ didn't want to be left out. I've gotten substantial work because of that and it's also helped keep me a float during slow times.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,851 Posts
If you paint people will only call you for painting. You might get lucky and get some decks but I think its more likely all you will get is a rep for deck refinishing and an unprofitable job. Take a grand and hit the neighbor hood with post cards every month for ninety days. Have a ppc campaign narrowly targeting the same area.
ding ding

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
My question is how did you get the lead in the first place if this isn't your line of work? I would go for it but only if you make a profit, make sure this customer let's others know what else you do if they inquire about the deck.

My mentality has always been a small and possibly undesirable job may lead into bigger and better things. If you find yourself just bidding deck refinishing jobs in the neighborhood, sub it out and you're still getting your name out there.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,851 Posts
Same way I just got a lead to make 3 bird houses. :blink:

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,831 Posts
My mentality has always been a small and possibly undesirable job may lead into bigger and better things.
Little jobs done right can & do lead to bigger & better jobs. One of my best long time customers came from repairing a handrail gate. The next year I built a multilevel deck/workshop/gazebo which lead to 4 more gazebos for his friends/neighbors.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I'll disagree with that, I started my business painting and it's the smallest portion of my business today. Painting can be profitable especially if you combine it with whatever else you do, in my case remodeling.

No I would also rather rebuild the deck than refinish it and if I tell my customer it's a waste of time refinishing it, guess who's rebuilding the deck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts