Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
what do you guys charge for the scaffolding,
we add around 2 bucks a sq. ft
I don't have a set price for scaffolding ( though I probably should) I just figure how much scaffolding I'll have to do on a job, and how long it'll take, and just wrap everything up into the estimate.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
When you say $2 a sq ft, do you mean, you add $2 per sq ft of the wall you're building....don't quite see where you're coming from....
sq.ft. for the scaffolding,
if I need to build 400 sq.ft of scaffolding to do that chimney,
I add on 800 dollars to the costs.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Top courses around these parts need to be solid or grouted to prevent termites from undermining the sill...not a problem down there?

Looking good!
Down here most people use a solid cap block. If they don't ,they have use metal flashing between the block and plate.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If I have to go 3 scaffolds high or more, I usually go 3 wide. More stable , and makes me fill better. :laughing: But it gives us more working area. I saw my pieces up there, and we stock our materials up there ,too.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
putt logs

have you ever heard of putt logs or used them for block basements?

about 4' long 4x4's with 1/4'' x 1-1/2'' 4'' long plate steel extending out of one end.It inserts into the block vert joint.The other end is supported by block on end usually 2 for a 8' basement. Very nice and fast no braces in the way etc. They are also nice to use on a inside corner when the pipe staging is too long [wrong x braces]. They even can be inserted and bent a bit. Good on stone walls esp rough terrain.
I had a boat load had to scrap half when my father passed about 5 years back due to the barn being sold.

I bet you guys never seen 5' masons horses? Before pipe staging they were used. The top was longer than the base stance so as to be stackable. I never seen them in use but I cleand the barn out- around them as they took up much space.

Nice blockwork kido! I remember using the 3 cell 12's ....the forms would wear and they would end up 7-1/2'' high.....pain in the but good for the duro wall course ..like jb said they were a tad long too!

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
If I have to go 3 scaffolds high or more, I usually go 3 wide. More stable , and makes me fill better. :laughing: But it gives us more working area. I saw my pieces up there, and we stock our materials up there ,too.
If its up there we will run a couple 2x4's into the house, nail them to the planks and let just a little down on the front screw jacks. No wiggle, 1 tower. We bolt it to the house after 6 high but still use 1 tower.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have this set of scaffolds wired at the eve. We take eye screws and screw them into the rafter tails, and wire it to the frames.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
it's amazing the difference a bit of tension can make to scaffolding, bracing against the building, then tying into it and a 40' lift of scaff goes from feeling like you're out at sea to feeling like terra firma

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I had a guy helping me a long time ago, and that sucker would strut like a cartoon cat! When he walked across the scaffold, everybody would hang on.

After trying to reteach him how to walk......we made him the lift driver! :thumbsup:

41 - 56 of 56 Posts