Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Thats a tough foundation pal, looks great too. You all dont pour anything, bond beams, nothing?

not skared of hurikane?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a tough foundation pal, looks great too. You all dont pour anything, bond beams, nothing?

not skared of hurikane?
The code has us pouring our block walls every 32" with #5 bar anywhere it has 7' of fill dirt against it. And if we have walls 12' or taller, we will pour bond beams at 8'

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got a lot done. You don't use corner blocks for 12" block?
Yeah....I use starter block as much as possible, but there is a fairly new block company in the neighborhood that sales ol' heavy cement block ....cheap. Homeowners building their own house will go and buy from them and they don't have any starters or shapes.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Yeah....I use starter block as much as possible, but there is a fairly new block company in the neighborhood that sales ol' heavy cement block ....cheap. Homeowners building their own house will go and buy from them and they don't have any starters or shapes.
I`d be getting the home owners to cut me some corner blocks. I don`t know if I could get that corner passed here without having steel in that entire corner

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I`d be getting the home owners to cut me some corner blocks. I don`t know if I could get that corner passed here without having steel in that entire corner
Yeah, I agree with you. We're going to pour the corners when we pour the cells.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I 've got one more basement priced and after that one, I'm going up 25 cents a block, if people around here continue to buy from them. Their block weighs 9 lbs more than the block we usually buy.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Every once and a while we would get a lighter weight block and it was like a cool breeze blowing on your face on a hot summer night :)

Then we would sometimes get blocks that were just a pinch shorter then normal, I think it was because they assumed wire was going to be used (eye roll), and it made my blood boil over trying to stay on 8"s. We sometimes would go grab a bunch of 9's from somewhere for that one house if I knew it was coming. (they made block 9" high for some reason, the house would be 8'1", I dont ask questions just slam blocks).

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Block here is very uniform and standard, an 8" block weighs 35lbs, an end block weighs more, no idea how much...3 lbs? The only difference I've ever seen between manufacturers is that some end blocks are smooth both ends, some just one. Also one manufacturer has smoother blocks than the others, but not a lot, they're also more brittle

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After a very traumatic few weeks for my family and I, 20 degree weather at nights and a lot of rainy days....we finally finished this basement this past week and started another basement Thursday.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts