Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know we beat CL to death around here but this is something I've not heard of yet.Things have been slow here this year with myself and several other contractors I know.So,I decided to try an add on CL.
Apparently anyone on there can flag your posts so I had a few of the $10 hour guys flag my post and CL deleted it.
So I put up another and all I'm getting is bogus leads with wrong phone numbers and wrong emails.Just trying to do any marketing I can for cheap since things have been so slow.
Guess I'll have to go to plan B.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just assumed and we all know what that is.Didn't figure anyone else else would have a reason or waste their time to do it.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I've sold stuff on CL and it bombards you with spam, it's seriously bad enough that I've stopped using it to sell items.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I must be doing it wrong. I get spammed, but for offers to buy things I'm not selling as long as I ship stuff I'm not selling to their sister/brother/cousin in Zimbabwe or Italy or whatnot.

I listed a camera lens, and 2 years later someone emailed me about it. I said it had 247,000 miles on the odometer and had been painted purple with pink stripes and orange polka-dots. I immediately received a response asking for my PayPal name and an address is BFE to send it to.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
I've advertised services on CL twice.

The first time, I posted nothing but an image of my business card; no text whatsoever. Got several legitimate leads from that, and no spam at all. One of the leads turned into a repeat customer for whom I've done multiple jobs.

Second time, I posted a short text ad, essentially saying what's on my business card. I got spammed for nearly two years, with not one worthwhile lead. Don't think I'll be doing that again. :laughing:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
A friend of mine just puts his business card up. Twice a day,every day.

He is always busy. Works for some. I'll have to ask him about the spam.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I have sold some stuff. The only problem is dealing with so many people that are just looking, want it for nothing, or want it delivered.
Bought several things without any problems.
The first time I listed something, I learned a lesson. I put my phone number in the ad. Big mistake. I learned that computers pick up that number and respond to it. Put your phone number in as some numbers and at least one spelled number. Example: 314-555-5five55. Has worked for me.
I haven't advertised for work, so I can't comment on that part. I am thinking that a picture of a business card works because the computers can't pic numbers off of pictures.
I don't sell anything anymore. Trying to sell replacement windows for $10 each was enough for me. Now I either set it on the curb or give it away to someone I know.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Here in Norfolk, CL has become downright dangerous. There have been a handful of robberies (at gun point) that started with a CL ad.

For business, it's hard to imagine that it'd be but so productive. There are some real sleeze balls posting stuff on CL.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
A friend of mine just puts his business card up. Twice a day,every day.

He is always busy. Works for some. I'll have to ask him about the spam.
If you post an image instead of text it's a lot harder to programmatically grab the data so it usually gets skipped over.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
I have sold some stuff. The only problem is dealing with so many people that are just looking, want it for nothing, or want it delivered.
Bought several things without any problems.
The first time I listed something, I learned a lesson. I put my phone number in the ad. Big mistake. I learned that computers pick up that number and respond to it. Put your phone number in as some numbers and at least one spelled number. Example: 314-555-5five55. Has worked for me.
I haven't advertised for work, so I can't comment on that part. I am thinking that a picture of a business card works because the computers can't pic numbers off of pictures.
I don't sell anything anymore. Trying to sell replacement windows for $10 each was enough for me. Now I either set it on the curb or give it away to someone I know.

I'm surprised they haven't rewritten their recognition and collection algorithms to grab these and convert them back, it's not that hard.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
CL has gone to a link for contact information. That works.... until the spammers have time to program a work-around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts