Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ac wont blow cold. What is the best way to clean the inside unit?? Other than a .50 cal bullet into it!!!!

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
opiethetileman said:
my ac wont blow cold.
That's because it was never designed to. Air conditioners remove heat, they don't blow cold.
opiethetileman said:
What is the best way to clean the inside unit?? Other than a .50 cal bullet into it!!!!
A bullet of any caliber will offer no assistance in cleaning the inside of a unit. What's the brand and model and type of the unit. Truck a/c, residential split system, window unit, PTAC, etc?

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a household ac Its a rheem 1310 b its an old unit I know. Whats the best way to clean the coils out. I have sprayed them with oven cleaner and simple green in a bug sprayer. How do I know if the freon is low???

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I assume by "coil" you mean the outdoor condensing coil and not the evaporator coil in the indoor unit? If the outdoor compressor is running (along with the fan on the outdoor unit) check the difference in temperature of the two pipes leaving the unit. The fat pipe will be cold and the skinny pipe can be quite warm. If they are both nearly the same temperature, then the refrigerant might be low. The only way to tell is to put gauges on the system. You need to have the certification to do this, as this is considered accessing the sealed system.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
opiethetileman said:
Its a household ac Its a rheem 1310 b its an old unit I know.
I'd buy a new one...maybe two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts