Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Construction has been a long hard road, every day has been a challenge in one way or another. All the different jobs i have done over the past 28 years blend into one endless job in my mind. The knowledge i have today must have come from somewhere, and for it i am grateful. Today i have the good fortune of being able to apply my knowledge to my own home in ways that i could have only dreamed of. As much as the work in my own home is demanding, it is effortless. Listen to the house, it tells you what to do. To be doing, for myself what i have spent 28 years doing for others fills me with gratitude. G

·
Registered
559 Posts
So what you are saying is after 28 years the houses are talking to you? lol Everyone here tells me "I bet your house will be cool when you build it" I say "nope mine is going to come on a trailer roll off on the foundation, be made of plastic (no maintainence) and be move in ready". I can't get time to change out a light bulb more or less build my own house. I envoy you for taking the time to do it!

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
First time I saw your avatar I thought you were the guitar player for the Blues Magoos. :laughing:
I liked the old one better. Looked like someone I used to know.

Hope your drinking lots of water these days.

Time for some more pics. :clap:

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will keep this thread for sharing different things that i find interesting, hopefully, others will as well. These next couple of photos will show how basic crown is used for a light valence (upward) for a barrel cieling. The thing to note here is the angle put on the valence for the sections that run with the curve of the cieling. Where the light is projecting up a verticle wall, no angle is required, the light strip will lay flat and wash the wall. When the cieling is curved, if the light where to lay flat, the projection would fade out quickly or result in a hot spot. The addition of the angle will allow the light to project further up the barrel. G

http://

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
WOW!!!

A truly knowledgeable fellow with some real experience and insight to reasoning. Around here that's refreshing as hell.:)

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Yow-w-w-w, wel-l-l-l-l, you guys know what I'm talking about. It is all too often we see fakers and jokers here asking us to quote their jobs for them and spewing rediculous advice. We all know who the real players are.:thumbsup:

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Yow-w-w-w, wel-l-l-l-l, you guys know what I'm talking about. It is all too often we see fakers and jokers here asking us to quote their jobs for them and spewing rediculous advice. We all know who the real players are.:thumbsup:
Gotcha. I took it another way. Gene is a very talented builder, I am impressed by him with his skills daily:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I know first Gus then this. My credibility is rapidly declining.
I'm not like you, my feelings are not encased in calluses and drowned in booz.:laughing:

Gene,

I think the best thing about being in this industry is to be able to do what you have going at home.:thumbsup:

I think its great when a tradesman can pull off a nice remodel at home. So many things have to line up for it to happen. Gotta have the money, time , energy, and the vision.

I too believe your house will point you in the right direction if you are willing to listen.
Good on you Gene

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Good for you Gene! :clap:
Where is Jim?
It's nice that you can think one
through for your own house
and execute it the way you want.
Must be a nice change from
trying to reverse engineer
silk purses out of sow's ears
for previously screwed up houses.

I hope the shiny new Missus is
properly impressed. :laughing::clap:

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
Love the arch, and the crown. Are you going to use rope lighting or zenon? I'd give you suggestions on the lighting, but you seem to have it well under control. Nice work, keep them coming, and thanks for sharing.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Love the arch, and the crown. Are you going to use rope lighting or zenon? I'd give you suggestions on the lighting, but you seem to have it well under control. Nice work, keep them coming, and thanks for sharing.:thumbup:

LED w/ transformers:thumbsup: Thankyou G

Dennis, suggestions from professionals are always welcome. G

1 - 20 of 28 Posts