Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Certainly not surprising to me......in 2005, she may have just asked "when can you start?".......but the pendulum has swung, and even the wealthiest of the wealthy are looking for deals, and she'll likely find that lower price that's "in her budget....."

I think you gave her a pretty reasonable offer.......shoot, I'll bet her wedding ring cost 3x that.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
When I lived in New England a some of my prospects were like that. Enormous second and third homes, big car collections..the whole thing. I never inflated a bid ( not saying yours was..it seems fair), never wrote a bid based on what kind of toys they had, or based one on any assumptions of their spendatude.

Most of them would choke on the bid, like they want it done for free. A lot of them have no concept of value in terms of labor ( quality work ) or long term service. Awhile they will happily spend 100k on a 6x9 water color ( yes, really ) they will scoff at a 12k veneer that will take a few weeks.

Who needs that. They can find a schlub willing to work for peanuts...I'd rather find a client that cares.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
So does anyone else see the red flags on the OPs end here?

Missing the appointment. Joking about being a drinker. (Not that there is anything wrong with drinking, but don't let that come into play with a potential client.) and then assuming that since "the more they got, the more they want."

This project was a no-go from the start. You unfortunately dropped the ball as soon as it was handed to you.

She only humored you with another visit just to tell you to get bent.

The price is besides the point. The next guy is going to come out on time, bid at $15K, and she's going to hand him a check.

You may have a great reputation, and a long standing family business, but she doesn't see it that way. You blew her off and she did the same to you.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I think it was just her giving you payback for missing the "princesses" appointment.

"Thank you for contacting "us" , we are sorry to hear your budget isnt inline with our going rate quote for the project. We would have really liked to have delivered something impressive for you to see every day when you come home. If you revisit your budget and would like another consult dont hesitate to contact us"

·
Registered
686 Posts
So does anyone else see the red flags on the OPs end here?

Missing the appointment. Joking about being a drinker. (Not that there is anything wrong with drinking, but don't let that come into play with a potential client.) and then assuming that since "the more they got, the more they want."

This project was a no-go from the start. You unfortunately dropped the ball as soon as it was handed to you.

She only humored you with another visit just to tell you to get bent.

The price is besides the point. The next guy is going to come out on time, bid at $15K, and she's going to hand him a check.

You may have a great reputation, and a long standing family business, but she doesn't see it that way. You blew her off and she did the same to you.
Maybe, maybe not. The fact that she was willing to still see him likely means that NO one responded to her initially, and knowing masons, that is entirely possible. But my sister lives down in that area, and she (last year) had a retaining wall (250sf+/-) rebuilt, new steps, and all for what I would have expected to pay for materials, plus $1,000.....

And maybe she didn't like him when she met him, that happens as well......so the price was inconsequential.....who knows......

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Rockmonster said:
Maybe, maybe not. The fact that she was willing to still see him likely means that NO one responded to her initially, and knowing masons, that is entirely possible. But my sister lives down in that area, and she (last year) had a retaining wall (250sf+/-) rebuilt, new steps, and all for what I would have expected to pay for materials, plus $1,000..... And maybe she didn't like him when she met him, that happens as well......so the price was inconsequential.....who knows......
You make valid points.

We are still missing the other two sides of this story.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Certainly not surprising to me......in 2005, she may have just asked "when can you start?".......but the pendulum has swung, and even the wealthiest of the wealthy are looking for deals, and she'll likely find that lower price that's "in her budget....."

I think you gave her a pretty reasonable offer.......shoot, I'll bet her wedding ring cost 3x that.......:rolleyes:
Bs. The pendulum has swung alright. The wealthy are 30% more weslthy than they were before the recession. The middle class is just barely recouping their losses.

Rich people are rich because they are ruthless with money.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My partners father in law was a log builder. He sold this shell and got us the job to do all the carpentry involved to finish the house. The owners were from the city and this was only there cottage. Probably in the 750000 dollar range twenty years ago. This guy nickelled and dimed and cried all the way through the job like 500 extra dollars was taking the food out of his kids mouth. When the house was finished I made an appointment to meet him and his wife at the cottage to get my final installment. When I got there, wouldn't you know it, there is a Ferrari parked in the driveway. All the way through he cried broke. Funny how these rich folks can sleep at night weaselling a regular working man down to the cheapest buck. I guess they didn't get rich by being generous with their money. That was the last time I would drop my price for anyone. I need the extra coin more than them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Francis I'm from the area. I'm assuming your in southern ct Fairfield area. Your price for the job is not the issue. She must have been sour over your original conversation.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You can make yourself crazy trying to second guess what is going through someone else's mind. Even if you called them and asked, you may or may not here the real cause. Just chalk it up as another life experience and do not let it bug you.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
She was arogant on the phone when she 1st called saying she ran a tight ship etc etc. I didn't like her from the get go and perhaps that's why my 62 year old mind forgot her.

The first thing I thought about when she told me the peirs were far exceeding her buget, was this.
Years ago I was going to take take general contracting course. The first thing in the booklet was a list of a few of the different lectures they had planned.
1] How to make your subs think they are always high priced! 2] Work with their money ie make them actually finance the job! I never took the course.

In being told I was way over budget BROUGHT ME BACK IN TIME!
Either she was pissed and couldn't get over herself, or she was simply gauging my price with a rediculous price she got from some software estimating program...or she was using the mind thing on me!

Low budget masonry is what she'll get,.. "to match the rest".
Today they all seem to stand up overly thin stones.. it's sickening. There used to be a code of ethics for cutting stone,.. nothing stood up under 4'', and no beds cut under 60 degrees. All the highway bridges had this in their specs during the 40's and 50's.......today they mix on the ground and blow a rock to a razor edged base and chip the rest to fit with a brick hammer.
Stones are kiltering all over the place ..my son will be busy just fixing all this / their mess.

I worked for many rich people and most all have cadalac taste, usually coupled with low budgets,.. until the cabinets / gold fixtures get delivered and the furniture shows up.....Heck there has to be enough left in the budget for the essentials.
This is why you see some of the ****iest work on the bigest homes.
Greenwhich Ct is notorious for that.....the masons come packed into a station wagon with demo saws and a home depot bucket with a Brickhammer;Great NeckTrowel;and a "lime green razor knife."

Is it happy hour yet?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Francis I'm from the area. I'm assuming your in southern ct Fairfield area. Your price for the job is not the issue. She must have been sour over your original conversation.
I know the area well, I lived 45 minutes north. The the idea she would spitefully drag out a meeting, proposal and everything else just to get even over a missed appointment, is pretty far out there....but there is a chance. Some people are that nuts.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I deal with the uber rich a lot myself and for as much as I hear people complain about them,...they truly are my best customers.

Most hang on to me when they find me and become long term repeaters of work which I gladly accept. Many become good friends...

No doubt there are many eccentrics and elitist in this crowd as well, but I got knack of weeding them out early on cause i don't want to deal with them anyway. Sounds like she fits this profile so IMO your probably better off without her.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts