Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a project in which I used 2 Noble Freestyle Linear drains with a Kerdi-Shower kit. The customer purchased all the materials himself so I had no choice on what I was using. The first move I made was to call my Schluter rep to see what they recommended for the connection between the Schluter and Noble materials. Left a voice message, never got a reply. :censored:

On the other hand, Eric with Noble actually called me. :thumbup:
He was very upfront about what to do about the connection and made no big deal about what materials I used. When you're doing a project for the first time or doing something that you don't have any feedback from others on the best way to proceed, it's very reassuring to know the manufacturer steps up.

I ended up using all Kerdi for the floor as I wanted as few seams as possible. The actual connection was made with Noble Sealant 150 that came with the drain kits. My Kerdi seams near the drains were made also with Noble Sealant but was finished off with some Hydro Ban.

The Freestyle drains were extremely easy to work with. I overlaid the joists with 3/4" T&G. The drains were set directly on top of that. I had to shim the smaller drain as it wasn't as tall as the larger one. I used 1/4" Hardi. The drains lined up perfectly. I then added 2 layers of 3/4" ACX ply. The drains ended up to be about a 1/8" taller. A layer of Ditra and I have a flush connection. For the pan side, I had to float certain ares of the pan to get flush with the drain.

Even as I was ready to set the drains, I made one more call to Eric just to make sure I have everything covered. He was available and walked me through a last minute play by play :thumbup:

Shame on my Schluter rep for not even bothering to call me back. Even if it was to tell me they didn't want to make any recommendations, that would have at least shown some concern. This is now the 2nd time he's stiffed me. I will definitely look at the service I received throughout this project when I started choosing materials in the future.

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Working with Nobel

Great feedback Angus.

I have received tons of help from Eric as well and have always been impressed with the effort and patience he gives to me. Your review of Schulter is a common one of late (shared by many of us online) and I like you have been sourcing new suppliers for my future projects. :whistling

To wait two weeks for an answer and then to follow up for a second time and get "What's the question" is a joke in my book. :rolleyes:

My Nobel channel drains have travelled to quite a few job sites and I look forward to my first install. The key advantage these Nobel Channel drains have in a standard renovation is the ability to drop onto existing ABS and PVC rough ins.

What a great plug for Nobel Company that John Bridge himself says they are the best drain he has ever seen. I wonder if John has installed one? I'm sure he like you would use Kerdi but I suggest you both try out the Nobel TS. I love the fact that it can be folded and creased - this makes for nice tight corners... Not to mention being able to install it with Modified Thin Set...

Now that you have showcased such a great project I look forward to your upcoming jobs. Once you have worked with these channel drains it is near impossible to go back to a single 4" drain. It is just so much easier pitching everything in one direction!

What type of tile has the client selected for your project?

Your job looks great - looks like the plumber has done an amazing job and I like the effort he has taken to insure these drain lines have great venting...

Good Luck with the finishing. The hard parts over and I bet it was not that hard at all...

JW

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Nice looking job----Looks like the whole room is waterproofed---good insurance----

Please add some progress shots as you get them.---Mike---

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Customer service is a lost art. It's how I pick and stay with my suppliers. It makes my little business look good when my Pella rep or whatever comes out and talks with them to make sure everything is alright.

Your project looks great as usual Angus. I thank you for the help with my Kerdi install. You would make a good Kerdi rep. :laughing:

Shame on those Germans.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I hear ya. I have an outstanding bid for a very large project which I'd be using a ton of a Laticrete product. My Laticrete rep has offered to be on site to help with any issues that might occur. :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
The difference in companies

Angus time and time again when I find a company that is a pleasure to work with it is a family run company.... Like Laticrete.

I had some questions for Laticrete when I was at the convention last week. I send an email out at 10:00 PM and by 7:00 AM Anita had answered it and by 8:30 AM Michael called me and did the same...

Huge difference in customer service.

Approaching week three on my Schulter question - I'm glad I went another route and my job isn't still waiting on confirmation from the tech boys. I find it ironic that it is these web forums that opened my eyes to other systems and showed me the amazing skill sets out there. It is the same web forums where I learned about Quick Drain USA, Nobel, Laticrete and on and on. These same web forums that we discuss and debate ideas. These same web forums that Schulter does not take part in... This company stance of Schulter's will be their down fall in my opinion...

Makes me wonder if I would still be settling for "Average Service" when "Top Shelf Service" is just a click away.

I would be shocked if Schulter lets this happen - I'm sure they will come around and make things right. In todays market it is not enough to sit back and say I'm the best - shop here...The trickle affect of 40 or 60 guys changing suppliers will take a year or two to register - but it will...

This change started seven months back and I see the switch from Orange to Green gaining ground quickly - it is hard to compete with a company offering up 25 year warranties, a massive product line and "Top Shelf" tech support and product training.

JW

Yes, I hear ya. I have an outstanding bid for a very large project which I'd be using a ton of a Laticrete product. My Laticrete rep has offered to be on site to help with any issues that might occur. :thumbup:

·
Tile Contractor
1,030 Posts
Yep, Eric is one of the good guys. :thumbsup:

It seems Schluter is slipping a bit of late, very disappointing. :sad:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are very fortunate to have many quality choices when it comes to materials. It seems that the question of which ones to use can very well be the support that you receive with them. Along with price and availability, I will be evaluating which companies will support me and my business as I move forward next year.

It is not acceptable to take on a project blindly because a manufacturer won't help you outside the box. Schluter makes great products and I'm sure the level of support varies with what rep you have. I'm simply stating I'm very disappointed in my rep. :sad:

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Nobel TS and Nobel pre slope

Always with a hint of Humour Eric...

Eric I need some pre slope mat for an upcoming project. Do you have any in 36" widths?

What sizes do your pre slope mats come in?

Me and the boys are packing in my TS roll for a full Nobel TS steamer. Should have pictures up by days end.

I find the blue such a nice calming colour to work with! My last TS flood test went much better than the first! This time I didn't screw it up with my channel locks... 48 plus hours and one happy inspector!

:clap:

JW

Thanks for the kind words. Now I can ignore you on the next one and still be at 500.:eek:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Nobel TS Installation

Thanks...

I gave Eric a call today and he ran me through the product line.

Look forward to the new Pre Slope designed for your channel drain in the new year...

JW

The Nobel Pro Slope comes 40" x 40" or 60" x 60". They also have a tub repalcement kit that is 40" x 80".

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Wow!! That looks great. Customer service is definitely a dying art.

Did you end up having to cut floor joists for slope, or is that incorporated into the system you are using? Did you run all those drain lines yourself? Gives me a headache just looking at it.

Whats the deal w/ the ditra floating in a sea of kerdi?

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow!! That looks great. Customer service is definitely a dying art.

Did you end up having to cut floor joists for slope, or is that incorporated into the system you are using? Did you run all those drain lines yourself? Gives me a headache just looking at it.

Whats the deal w/ the ditra floating in a sea of kerdi?
Plumbing was done before I was brought in.

Used 3/4" T&G for the subfloor. Drains sat directly on that. Used another 2 layers of 3/4" acx ply for the tub and vanity areas. Kerdi pan sat within the acx on top of the t&g.

Ditra is on the areas that are not pitched.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice work Angus!
I love the linear drains from Noble.
Were they easy to work with?
We just started selling Noble so i am still learning...
Yep. The drains were very simple. I was lucky on this job because of the floor structure of the older home. The original bath was a mud bed so I had a lot of room to play with above the joists.

Joists leveled (out of level from 1.5" across floor)
3/4" T&G GP DryPly
Noble Freestyle Linear drains set (had to shim smaller drain with 1/4" CBU)
2 layers of ACX ply
Set Kerdi Pan
Ditra on "dry" areas
Kerdi on Pan and over the drains. Sealed with Noble Sealant 150.

The pic above with all the orange is at that stage.

I personally would have designed the room a bit different but that's the HO's choice. I do like the Noble drains. I hope to use them again soon! :thumbup:

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
nice work angus..........They dont make a full length drain? why the spot in between.

yeah i hear ya about the orange koolaid...I sent a email to my rep while i was in NC working. needed kerdi board for a MAJOR high roller and they wouldnt call me back. Gave me a number to call in NC to a shop I ask for kerdi board. the guy on the phone says yeah we have the big rolls of it. NICE. So the client tells me why do i want a product in my home where the rep wont email or call you back. And to top that off while i was away a person from JB forums sent schulter stuff to my house under his name. so why would a company give out my home address.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts