Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

90CFM Compressor for Log Home?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cabindoc.sa 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, Im a painter by trade and was given an opportunity to strip and restain a log home. Im in the renting the compressor stage, and went to pick it up this morning, when I went out to look at it, it was a 90 CFM not the 185 I reserved, which still wasnt ready by the way. I told them I need the 185 and the man at the desk says, "I think the 90 would work for you because youre using the 150 lb pot, if you stepped up to the 350 lb pot then the 185 would need to be used". Either way I told him I want the 185.

I asked about the nozzle on it, and he said its a 3/16th, so I asked if they had a number 5 for it, and he said hes not sure how the number ratings for the nozzles work, (red flag went up). I said, it just means its a 5/16th, so he says oh, well the nozzles pretty worn so its probably got the flow of a 5/16ths.

This stuff bugs me, like he was trying to pull one over on me, at least as far as the compressor, but honestly Im not positive. Ive done a TON of research, watched every video on youtube, read tons of forums etc. So would a 90 work? Everything in me says no from what Ive seen, its also a huge home so Im looking for production. Im using 40/70 crushed glass.

Thanks for any insights.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dry blasting a large log cabin with the equipment you seem to be talking about would probably be very slow and messy with my limited experience. I've had good results using a deck stripper and a power washer. The stripper can fuzz up some woods pretty bad. I usually sand if a smooth surface is desired. The last log cabin I did was about 3500 sq ft it took a hard day to strip by myself including a few hundred sq ft of decks.then a couple of days power sanding all the logs and a day of spraying Sikkens

#4 ·
No I don't think a 90cfm will do the job. The size of the pot has nothing to do with how many cfm you need. It is the nozzle size and pressure that determines the cfm needed. A #5 nozzle uses 113cfm at 80psi. You really don't want to run the compressor wide open all day long. You can easily find a nozzle/cfm chart online. Search "sandblasting nozzle cfm chart".

I like my #6 fan nozzle for jobs like that.

I lay 10ft wide heavy black plastic under where I am working. It catches most of the grit and makes cleanup much easier.

#5 ·
What nonobadog said. You definitely need a 185. Use glass cutlets 40/70 will cut most finishes. If it’s paint or sikkens you may need 20/40. Or, you can sub the blasting part out to a log home application professional and just do the staining part. Blasting, especially with glass is not a DYI thing. You can do damage that will eat up any profit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.