Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please suggest me for below situation...
Current :
* Ceiling Height - 9' 2"
* Original crown molding - Stacked Crown Molding ( Total height 6" on Wall X 4" on Ceiling

Homeowner asked me to remove it and install it with ornate crown molding and So when i put it back , i have to go for the same size or little bigger size than original to avoid fixing all the nail holes, caulk lines impression, repaint...etc..

i showed all the samples i had. They liked the below molding...but this is large size, when i looked it it looked good, they liked it too..but today when i am keep thinking about the size..i feel its too big..

Crown molding dimension: 5.2'' H x 6.3'' W X 8.25" FACE

What do you think...should i suggest them to stick to Stacked style...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What is the manufacturer of the new molding , usually in their catalog they recommend different ceiling heights to go with different size moldings . Imo it looks fine, to many times I see a small crown with a 9' or 10' ceiling that looks terrible .

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Depends on the size of the room. I think you'll be okay as long as it's not a small bedroom. Get a couple of feet and hold it up for the homeowner to see if they still like it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, remember scale, mass and proportion................................
Room size is 23' X 12' ... checked the test piece again...looks good..

Manufacturer recommendation is for 10' and above ceiling, I think manufacturer is Ekena ( not sure ) , many chinese companies makes the same style...

thanks all...I will post a pic after its done...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Room size is 23' X 12' ... checked the test piece again...looks good..

Manufacturer recommendation is for 10' and above ceiling, I think manufacturer is Ekena ( not sure ) , many chinese companies makes the same style...

thanks all...I will post a pic after its done...
Post a picture when you're done, showing off the corners if you dare. Those ornate mouldings have to be planned and executed perfectly, or they look junky.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
From the manufacturer:

"Most moulding profiles can be partnered with our do-it-yourself corner blocks that means no miter cutting for you, and most rooms can be completed in ours instead of days."

http://www.ekenamillwork.com/5-1-4-h-x-6-1-4-p-x-8-1-4-f-x-94-1-2-l-monique-crown-moulding.html

They have it all figured out!

Actually, corbeled molding like this are best installed in rooms sized for that specific molding. If the corbels are on 12"centers the room should have walls that are even multiples of 12" long. Then the inside corners are mitered 6" from a corbel center to the long point of the cut and any outside corners land midway between corbels as well.

So you might want to move some walls around before the install. :laughing:

Besides scale, mass and proportion... you should also consider spring angle. 8' ceilings and lower generally look best with 38º crown, 9' ceilings 45º and 10' and up 52º crown.

Spring angle preferences also depend on typical vantage points. The goal is spring angle perpendicular to viewing angle.

So in smaller rooms, where you are always close to the walls and looking up to see the crown, rather than looking across a large room at it, a 45º or 52º crown works better, even with lower ceilings. That said, in small rooms the molding size should be smaller even if the spring angle is increased, and that can be hard to find. Larger crowns tend to be available in 52º versions more often than smaller crowns.

The same is true of a formal dining room, because you are viewing the crown from a seated position, it is as if the ceiling were higher.

If an entire house is getting crown, you usually just go with one size and spring angle though. What ever looks best in the rooms you spend the most time in or entertain in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
* I usually cheat on the Decorative crown molding if all corners are not matching ( upto 5" face breadth ). Specially for inside corners...

These small moldings are quite easy to handle in outside or angled corners...but 8" above face - I dont know yet..

* Large molding center to center of the corbel style is 11 13/16" - Walls are 11'2" X 23' 2" - from my drawing - I am rvery close to hit flower designs at all corners - One mistake will cost me another stick, plus painting

* I Never did this size molding job before...8 1/2" breadth, used this chance to get me an excuse to buy 12" slider miter saw...

* Spring angle on this molding about 52, for the 9'2" ceiling, 23' long X 12' - One end of the room to other end - for the eye : View is great . If i look straight from down - ooo its huge, but it looks good..specially with Sherwin willams June day yellow with White molding...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've found that as much as you offer advice to some customers you just end up doing what pleases them. Definately lightly voice your opinion so when they're bragging to their friends it was their design choice (and it looks horrible to you) the friends know it was the customers choice not yours. I had one fellow who thought he was a designer,I built him a mantle and surround. He was inadvertently mixing all kinds of styles,sizes,mouldings,everything. When i pointed out to him people spend years developing a sense of proportion and there were some time honoured rules he remarked "you mean i have to know what I'm doing". Quite funny but at some point your just wasting your breath and you just have to go with the old saying. "The customers always right even when they're wrong".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts