Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to mount an 85" TV (105lbs) on a swivel mount to metal studs behind two layers of 5/8" sheet rock. I believe the metal studs are 20ga, but not sure how to confirm. Additionally, the swivel mount can fully extend to about 24.5 inches.

The plan is to use Snaptoggle bolts, which have a pull out rating of 464lbs with 25ga studs and 5/8" sheet rock. (See table below from the manufacturer.)

After crunching some numbers, the total force pulling on the top part of the bracket should be no more than 350lbs under static load. That force would be distributed over 2 anchors for 175lbs each, which is less than half the rating for the toggle bolts (which was rated on a less sturdy construction than what I have). Is that leaving enough room for any additional force due to swiveling the TV around?

Also, is there anything else I'm not considering? For example, will the bottom edge of the bracket dig into the drywall and cause it to fail? Do I need to consider any flexing in the metal studs? Will they be able to keep straight with that kind of force pulling on them?

·
Registered
199 Posts
It would be great to open the wall and add blocking ... you probably don’t want go do that. I think your plan will work. As an alternate, consider fastening a 50” wide piece of ply to the face of the wall, paint to match. That width will let you attach to 3 studs.

·
Registered
11,331 Posts
I installed a big screen TV in a call enter using the method you described.

Never got a call back

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,430 Posts
If it has 2 layer of 5/8s sheet rock it's a fire-party wall. I bet the CFS studs are more than 20 ga. I would spread the load over 4 studs with 2x6 or something on the wall.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it has 2 layer of 5/8s sheet rock it's a fire-party wall. I bet the CFS studs are more than 20 ga. I would spread the load over 4 studs with 2x6 or something on the wall.
Are there special considerations with fire-party walls? And by higher gauge, you mean it's likely 25 gauge?

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
17,430 Posts
Are there special considerations with fire-party walls? And by higher gauge, you mean it's likely 25 gauge?
If it's a multi family building we here use 18 or 16ga studs. The smaller the number the thicker the metal.

·
Punching above his weight
9,196 Posts
That would be a horrible call back!

Mike.
___
A friend of mine worked for an electronics retailer that had installation crews. He told me he was there and overheard a callback from a customer who's flat screen fell off the fireplace and pancakes the cat. Muerte.

That is the worst callback story I have. Well, maybe tied with the guy who did a small plumbing repair on the 5th floor of a multi-family owned by the mayor of the town they were working in. Yeah.... all 5 floors.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mike ... is this a commercial location? So7nds like it if you have 2 layers of 5/8 on metal.

Something you need to be aware of is ADA compliance. Specifically ... no object can protrude more than 4” from the wall. If it does you need a cane detection device below the object. Now ... that 4” is measured when the tv is pushed back flat against the wall, not when its extended or tilted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike ... is this a commercial location? So7nds like it if you have 2 layers of 5/8 on metal.

Something you need to be aware of is ADA compliance. Specifically ... no object can protrude more than 4” from the wall. If it does you need a cane detection device below the object. Now ... that 4” is measured when the tv is pushed back flat against the wall, not when its extended or tilted.
It's a residential condominium

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I mounted two 65" tv's for our church. Metal studs. I had the wall open and it was a diagonal wall. I ran two rows of channel on the level against the two walls behind the one I framed. Used 2x6 blocking across the studs where the tv mount was going to be fastened. Then ran channel from the four corners where my 2x6 blocking was and tied it to the two rows I first put in.
Very strong. I could stand on it and no movement.
There was no way I wanted anything to happen to those tv's. That would be too embarrassing.😄

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
You are 15 mins from Chesterfield? I thought you were in Ewing.
Six Flags is about 15 mins in the opposite direction from me.

Edit: I just realized they have the temporary address they are meeting at in Hamilton on that link.
The church is in Chesterfield.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You are 15 mins from Chesterfield? I thought you were in Ewing.
Six Flags is about 15 mins in the opposite direction from me.

Edit: I just realized they have the temporary address they are meeting at in Hamilton on that link.
The church is in Chesterfield.
Ah, that makes more sense. Thought it might be a little strange for you to travel that far

- Rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts