Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate any recommendations for a manufacturer of 8' high mirrored sliding glass doors, 30" wide. Significant quality step up from big box.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
First I would call my glass guy. Next would be my millwork guy.

I've installed one sided mirror slabs in pocket doors, six panel on opposite side. Just talked to the wife yesterday about putting one on the master bed door.

Jeld Wen I think.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Bob I would try my glass guy too. I use Michael's Glass Co. in Philly.

But, I've installed a set of custom mirror sliders from HD over ten years ago at my brother's house. He uses daily and never had an issue.

Jeld Wen I think. Whatever their brand in.

I know that doesn't really answer your question. Sorry
Did you try surfing the net?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First I would call my glass guy. ....
Bob I would try my glass guy too. ...
Thanks, I'll start with the glass guys on Monday. The guy removed the existing doors himself (probably Jeld-Wen) and now regrets it. I was just wondering if there was a particularly well-known national brand of mirrored doors.

It's a low-probability deal. Something's goofy about the situation - someone else has already been in there and done some work, but failed in the kitchen, bath, and the closets.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think Stanley used to make a lower cost framed mirrored door.
Thanks. I'm going for higher-cost first. If I bid inexpensive mirrored doors, standard homeowner psychology will blame me for those doors costing 3X the original cost of the ones he just tore out. I spent some time on-line last night, and didn't see any 8' doors from the lower cost vendors, either. Didn't check Stanley, though.

Edit: I need to get back to the guy with a budget discussion about the closets. I went over there to talk about a kitchen remodel, and qualified for budget on the phone. The closets were a "while you're here" discussion. Some red flags came up during the visit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just a thought, pick some good, by your standard 1 3\8 door slabs, flush. Have your glass guy order some mirrors and apply them to the slabs. Buy a Bi Pass set from Johnson Hardware that is made for 1 5/8 doors (or what will fit your setup. Install, collect payment.

Or what ever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts