Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the open ceiling joist for this deck are 2X10 Mahogany. Theres no saw I have that can cut this easily so I drew the lines and transferred them over to the other side and used my skill saw on the top and bottom and used a hand saw to finish the rest. Slow process but works. Its a lot easier with the cedar joist but still a PIA.

So is there an easier way??

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
the open ceiling joist for this deck are 2X10 Mahogany. Theres no saw I have that can cut this easily so I drew the lines and transferred them over to the other side and used my skill saw on the top and bottom and used a hand saw to finish the rest. Slow process but works. Its a lot easier with the cedar joist but still a PIA.

So is there an easier way??
Mark the end square and keep the saw set a 0°. Make the cut and then set the saw to 18° which is the complement of 72°. turn the saw so that the table runs on the end cut that you've just made. This will make your cut 72°. All you have to do after that is just run the sawzall or handsaw through a little bit of what's left.

I used to do this years ago when cutting rafters, but now I have Bigfoot saw that cuts up to 75°

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,357 Posts
I use the same method Joe mentioned when doing gazebo rafters. If you get a bigger saw, I use an 8 1/4" circular saw, you have less to cut with handsaw.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
If you take the guard off a Porter Cable skillsaw you can put a 8 1/4 blade on it, never tried it on another brand.
Hey guys, DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!! Have you ever seen what happens when someone runs a worndrive through their thigh? I can assure you it is not pretty. Keep the guards on your saws.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Hey guys, DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!! Have you ever seen what happens when someone runs a worndrive through their thigh? I can assure you it is not pretty. Keep the guards on your saws.
Worndrive? What about a chainsaw, way more deadly then that. Also 8 1/4 blade on skillsaw will substitute having a tablesaw in a pinch. You correct guys drive me nuts sometimes.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Worndrive? What about a chainsaw, way more deadly then that. Also 8 1/4 blade on skillsaw will substitute having a tablesaw in a pinch. You correct guys drive me nuts sometimes.
It's not about being "correct" it's about working safely. A site I was on, a 17yr old kid ran a wormdrive through his thigh, right to the bone. Now he is permanently disfigured and will never have feeling from his upper thigh to his knee. Too high a price to pay for a moments distraction.

So taking guards off saws is just asking for an accident. Let alone a huge lawsuit. Let's work safe! :thumbup:

·
Banned
917 Posts
It's not about being "correct" it's about working safely. A site I was on, a 17yr old kid ran a wormdrive through his thigh, right to the bone. Now he is permanently disfigured and will never have feeling from his upper thigh to his knee. Too high a price to pay for a moments distraction.

So taking guards off saws is just asking for an accident. Let alone a huge lawsuit. Let's work safe! :thumbup:
Well I'm 45 and have all fingers and limbs, speaking of safety there is an inherit risk in construction, best thing to do is get out of it if youre concerned about risk. Getting bit a few times will cure moments distraction. Wifes friend stepson (13 I think) lost his index finger in a shop accident at school. No guard on the bandsaw lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know I will catch a lot of flack for saying this but here goes anyway: In many cases a saw is safer without the guard. The worst accident I ever saw involving a wormdrive saw was caused by a man counting on the guard to work properly. When a chip stuck in the guard causing to hang up,fully retracted , he didn't notice and rested the spinning blade on his groin area. He had to be carried to the truck and hauled to the hospital still holding the saw in his lap as his penis and testicles were so wrapped up in the blade we couldn't even attempt to pull the saw free. 20years ago and I still gag when i think about it.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Speaking of counting on guards and why I wont own a Makita skillsaw, chips do hang up their guards. Set one down on the ground an the f**cker ran across the top of my shoe, perfect slice didnt touch my sock.

Anyway try a 40 or 60 tooth 8 1/4 on your regular skillsaw, its amazing how good of a cut you can get.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I know I will catch a lot of flack for saying this but here goes anyway: In many cases a saw is safer without the guard. The worst accident I ever saw involving a wormdrive saw was caused by a man counting on the guard to work properly. When a chip stuck in the guard causing to hang up,fully retracted , he didn't notice and rested the spinning blade on his groin area. He had to be carried to the truck and hauled to the hospital still holding the saw in his lap as his penis and testicles were so wrapped up in the blade we couldn't even attempt to pull the saw free. 20years ago and I still gag when i think about it.
:eek::eek::eek::eek: DAMN!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I worked in Phoenix building tract homes years ago, almost every framer took the guard completely off or pinned it up.
You got used to always layin it down the right way(blade down and parallel to the floor & never hang it on a saw horse)
Everyone knew the guards were gone so they never sat one down in a way that allowed the blade to bite into the floor or a piece of lumber.
They never rested against any part of their body etc... I didn't see one serious accident. Not recommending guard removal just sayin...
I rarely use a saw without the guard any more because I am afraid that someone will use it when I'm not looking & get hurt.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm going to make this simple statement: guard or no guard, I would never rest a circular saw on any part of my body period. If the safety is on a gun I'm still not going to put the barrel in my mouth. Never pin back/remove guards from a circular and also always keep in mind you are hold a CIRCULAR SAW IN YOUR HAND. This has been a public service announcement. Thank you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I often times "pin" my guard up on my circular saw when cutting, esp when cutting with it on a bevel. However, I always pull the wedge out when I finish each cut if I am walking away from the saw just in case someone else picks it up to use it. Speaking of tools being more dangerous with a guard on though.....how about a table saw? I even have had OSHA guys warn me to put my guard on.....then pull me off to the side and say "I understand that it may be more dangerous on, but when you know we are coming put it on please".

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
he didn't notice and rested the spinning blade on his groin area.
You have got to be a complete moron to rest a saw on any body part after letting go of the trigger even with the guard not pinned. I've heard that guys cut themselves in that area before and the thigh area before from a saw kicking back, but that's because their body was positioned in the wrong spot. They didn't purposely lay the saw down on their body.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I'm gonna go massage my groin and thank the gods for letting me keep the area healthy all these years.

I'll be right back.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,357 Posts
I've seen & heard of some bad accidents with circular saws, but that one takes the cake.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'm gonna go massage my groin and thank the gods for letting me keep the area healthy all these years.

I'll be right back.
Would that be Uranus you'll be thanking?:whistling

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I'm going to make this simple statement: guard or no guard, I would never rest a circular saw on any part of my body period. If the safety is on a gun I'm still not going to put the barrel in my mouth. Never pin back/remove guards from a circular and also always keep in mind you are hold a CIRCULAR SAW IN YOUR HAND. This has been a public service announcement. Thank you.
:thumbup:

I am going to honestly say that I have met alot more people with...lets just say, less common sense, while working in construction then anywhere else. I am not saying all or even most contruction workers are idiots, but I will say we seem to carry a few more amungst our crowd...

That being said there are three tools I pulled my guards off of. My 4 1/2" grinder, my table saw(not really pulled it off....just never installed) and my miter saw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts