Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got asked to put up some 7" prefinished crown.

I could use some pointers on both the hugeness and the prefinishedness, as I don't often deal with either and have never done both at once.

I like doing butt joints for seams and coping my corners. Any reasons I should stray from this?
Also, what do you guys do for blocking on stock this big?

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Easy Gibson said:
Got asked to put up some 7" prefinished crown. I could use some pointers on both the hugeness and the prefinishedness, as I don't often deal with either and have never done both at once. I like doing butt joints for seams and coping my corners. Any reasons I should stray from this? Also, what do you guys do for blocking on stock this big? We're gonna need a bigger boat.
Pre finished is always time consuming. Take your time, make sure all your blades are sharp and get good a splitting 16th's in your measurements.

How many linear feet?

I'd use a 2x2 or 2x3 for nailers - but make your own from 2x4's or 2x6's... I've never seen a 2x2 or 2x3 that was worth a chit. Depending on your spring you might even want to stack 1x's to compensate.

Truth be told I've never done a true 7" crown in one piece. Good luck If you go through with it!

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
That is some big crown. Put it up primed and finish in place. Also you might have to cut it flat depending on your saw. When you do butt joints do you biscuit them?

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

If I do this I'm going to have to either rent or buy a new saw. I don't have a slider so I can only handle 5 1/4 max and I cut it angled.

Linear footage is roughly ~150? It's a lot of work. Only one outside corner which is nice, but there's 4 22's.

I've biscuited my joints before but it's extremely time consuming and I didn't feel like it yielded results that were much better than I can get from just nailing solidly after lining my joints up by hand.

This would be for a guy I've done a lot of work for but who keeps insisting I work hourly on this current job(complained about this one in other threads). There's no way I'm doing 7" crown hourly.

Ok, one last laugh. I was painting this place a couple weeks ago and while I was there a hangaround from the GC crew that built the place was there supposedly doing punchlist work but really was standing around talking to me. He kept asking me questions about my technique or what have you. Acting like a big shot. Then he asked who was doing the trim. Told him I probably was. He said, "Oh yeah, probably do this in two hours, right? What do you charge, 50 an hour? Probably more for something like this right? 75?"
I just stared at him for a minute then said, "So you're saying you'll put up this crown for $100? You're hired."
What a maroon.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Got asked to put up some 7" prefinished crown.

I could use some pointers on both the hugeness and the prefinishedness, as I don't often deal with either and have never done both at once.

Measure twice,cut once,be extremely careful. Do not be the guy who said "I cut the board twice and it is still to short":laughing:

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
I LOVE pre finished.....

Why you guys freak out about it is beyond me.....:rolleyes:

JMPOV...
Stain work we install pre finished, painted I prefer site finished. I have done the pre finished on painted, I just think the nails and seems turn out better if you finish after...IMHO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wouldnot recommend butt joints for this. Glue and a 22 degree scarf joint. If you have a 22 gauge micro nailer, use it to "stitch"your joint. If you are buying a new saw, also buy one of these for this project. You can get a Hitatchi reconditioned for about $100

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,702 Posts
I did 8" prefinished crown with my 8" Hitachi slider. Not really that fun. Came out beautiful though. With crown that big 0.1 degree will make a difference.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts