Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? The existing deck beams are 50 yrs old,not treated and rotting out. 2x12s with a 5 ft cantilever. Im considering going in and replacing the beams exactly as is with treated wood. I don't like that much of a cantilever but but what has been there still seems very strong except for the fact that its rotting away. As u can see someone has done some patch work.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Before someone asks. Yes I am trying to sell deck and railing redo also. Definitely needs it!!

·
Pro
506 Posts
shouldn't be a problem. looks like a sound design to me. if you're able to get 3x12 I'd much rather see that doubled up for the girders, but triple 2x12 will do just fine. crown down on the girders

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
shouldn't be a problem. looks like a sound design to me. if you're able to get 3x12 I'd much rather see that doubled up for the girders, but triple 2x12 will do just fine. crown down on the girders
Yup, go with 3x12s, we've built many homes on top of pilings with them. Laminating 2x12s will harbor moisture between the laminations as well as collecting debris. Single piece is better.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,452 Posts
I would ask your local inspector what he thinks. Might have to rithink it after he answers you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The girders will need to be 24 ft. long so I would like to stick with 2x's.(for handling purposes) The section of beam exposed to weather will be covered with some kind of deck wrap.

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
Make sure you thoroughly check out the connection of the joists at the house. After 50 years I can almost guarantee that there is water and/or insect damage at this point. Last year I removed one that was 30 years old and it practically snapped off at the house due to water and carpenter ant damage.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,343 Posts
I'm not a big fan of cantilevered decks. That existing deck looks out of level to me, seems cantilevered decks always end up that way.

Those sure are some big brick columns, they take up way too room on the patio under the deck imo. Put some new footings/post in out in the garden area, knock out those columns & you have some useable space under that deck. That's just my opinion, your customer may have a totally different one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts