Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently finishing up a complete interior remodel for a client and it has just been brought to my attention that sometime during construction ownership of the property had changed. My question is what affect does this have on my original contract? Does it void it? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but seems to me that if the party entered into a written binding contract before the property was sold, that they should still be liable for costs incurred during the remodel.

What does your contract say?:whistling

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Didn't we just have this conversation? I could've sworn this just happened to another contractor here and he got totally screwed because the original HO said "hey, I don't live there anymore and I'm not paying!"

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,042 Posts
Didn't we just have this conversation? I could've sworn this just happened to another contractor here and he got totally screwed because the original HO said "hey, I don't live there anymore and I'm not paying!"
Interesting concept. I think I'll go out and buy a Ferrari on credit, sell it, put the sale proceeds in my pocket and then tell the bank, "Hey, I don't own it any more, so I ain't paying for it!"

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I think there are several threads about it. One was in regards to someone doing work for a tennant and the landlord refused to pay and the other (might be wrong) it was along the lines of a contract being signed (perhaps without a deposit), and then the potential client sold the home, never informed the contractor and he found out after passing on other work, etc, etc.

Back to the OP's issue...I just find it hard to believe that a complete interior remodel was completed and 1) you never knew that ownership changed and 2) no one informed you. When you say "sometime during construction" it conveys that no one knew what was going on at the job.

I would hope any of my current or potential clients would let me know if they sold the property mid-way through a remodel.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wouldn't the open permits need to be finalized before the sale. You DID have permits...right?

The fact that they moved all of their stuff out and a new guy moved in didn't seem odd to you?

I would remember that awkward morning opening the door on day 40 of construction only to introduce myself to the guy in his PJ's with the puzzled look on his face.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sacastic remarks posted by many on this site provide no real knowledge or intelligence. The property was vacant during construction and has since been occupied by the original owner. She is no longer the legal owner of the property but is living there. My question had nothing to do with your perceived ideas that you are a comedian, just wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge regarding the original contract.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Pretty simple...

Whoever signed your contract is responsible for payment(s).

If you dont get paid lien the house. End of story.
That pretty much sums it up! She most likely had the house fixed to sell so her having cash to pay shouldn't be a prob.

Catch that F'n spider in the other thread in a jar and when you go to collect bring it with!

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I could be wrong here, or it's a geographical thing, but you can only place a lien on the property against the property owner. So if there is a new owner, you can't place a lien against them as it would be covered under the free and clear (title insurance) from the real estate sale.

You can, however, file a certified judgement at the county against whomever, provided you can document it and pay the nominal court fees.

·
Registered
416 Posts
We don't know the back story and can only make suggestions based on your original post with very vague information. The answer is clear that the person who signed the contract is the one and only person who will pay the bill.

The plot thickens, why did the original owner sell it then move back in as a tennant? who bought it?

I will ask again can you sell a house with open permits? Did you have permits?

·
Banned
538 Posts
we are a gc and have put ourselves in bit of a quandy that occured while changing accounting programs. A large invoice from our plumber was lost during the transition. That bill has since been paid...

2 posts and 2 major issues, maybe its time to reconsider general contracting
oh no you dinnit

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
That pretty much sums it up! She most likely had the house fixed to sell so her having cash to pay shouldn't be a prob.

Catch that F'n spider in the other thread in a jar and when you go to collect bring it with!
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually the first post I made on here was to see if this board has REAL answers to REAL issues. Not interested isn seeing photos of a toilet installed in a 50 year old shack in Virginia. I found that most are willing to give a constructive responses while others are once again practicing there comedic routines.

Also dont see how this is an issue that would garner a response linked to another topic let alone be considered at all our fault. Or in your professional opinion deem we should consider other professions. We would entertain the thought but we are to busy building and bidding multi-million dollar projects. We only post these questions to see responses from others in our profession, hoping to find someone who had been through something similar before. I think we all have lawyers to solve our REAL problems.

Thanks to those giving a thoughtful response, to the others I will post a toilet photo for you in the future.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Okay sarcastic hat just came off and my common sense just went on.

Has there been an issue collecting money or are you preparing for the worst?

My permit question has still gone unanswered?

As did who bought it and why did owner move back in as tenant?

Either way owner/tenant is still there, act like nothing has changed and hand in your invoice. Once there IS a problem worry about it.

Seriously if you ran a multi-million dollar a year outfit would you need or rely the advise from the random wise-a$$es in the INTERNET?

The fact that your feelings were hurt by comments made tells me you had it easy while learning this trade. Most of us were picked on, abused and downright tortured as the young buck on the job.

·
Home Builders/Contractors
262 Posts
Okay sarcastic hat just came off and my common sense just went on.

Has there been an issue collecting money or are you preparing for the worst?

My permit question has still gone unanswered?

As did who bought it and why did owner move back in as tenant?

Either way owner/tenant is still there, act like nothing has changed and hand in your invoice. Once there IS a problem worry about it.

Seriously if you ran a multi-million dollar a year outfit would you need or rely the advise from the random wise-a$$es in the INTERNET?

The fact that your feelings were hurt by comments made tells me you had it easy while learning this trade. Most of us were picked on, abused and downright tortured as the young buck on the job.

Brick city baby....:w00t::w00t:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Sarcasm aside, as well, HS does have many valid questions that have gone unanswered, that would certainly help any of us offer more tailored advice to your situation.

The smart-a$$es and sarastics come out when posters ask vague questions, refusing to elaborate, etc, etc.

So when can we expect that toilet photo?:shifty:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts