Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Tony
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I am starting to think of adding another pot and compressor to our operation. I figure it is time to move up to a bigger pot and compressor(375 CFM). I think I will put them on a trailer. What would be a good pot to go with? new? used and rebuild it with the best parts? any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

·
Know your Role
64 Posts
I would go with a Marco or Schmidt pot if possible. Pots are like tanks, if you can get your hands on a used one it will save you considerable coin and they are easily rebiult.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
I spoke with IDS in Indianapolis back when I was getting into all of this. They told me the most trouble free pot is the Schmidt Combo-Micro Valve with pneumatic controls. They added that this is the pot that they rent due to it being a "bulletproof system". I would soon like to add an electric deadman to my system if I keep it. I have a Thompson 149 media valve with an air shutoff port that I have been meaning to get set up. Might drag it into the garage this winter and mess with it.

·
Todd
848 Posts
the bigger one on ebay is being replaced by a smaller and one with a conical end?why?what is the benifit of downsizing and the different bottom?maybe with some sort of large pot exper. could answer that one....

·
Todd
848 Posts
i didnt look at the item but i can guess wich one it is and i dont want to look at it anymore...if it was available when started i would have offered 30k and i would have been far ahead...although i do like being able to have designed my own rig to my liking and the flexibility with mine is much better

·
Todd
848 Posts
i am pricing a new marco pot
6.5 cuf easy load
electric deadman 12v
maxum valve/gatekeeper(pressure hold)
1 1/4 line
extractor seperator

also gonna go to a 1 1/4 blast hose with a 10 foot whip of the super flex.

can anyone add anything to this?probably pulling the trigger in the morning

·
Todd
848 Posts
hey tony,
the total with hp easy fill blast pot,tungsten carbide maxum valve w/ gate keeper,water trap,repairable deadman control,electric wire for up tp 175 feet of blasting from the battery,seperator screen for the blast pot,60 feet of green hose 10 foot whip of super flex and all the nylon twists and holders,no.5 all poly nozzle, was 4800 shipped to florida...will have it next week.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Todd I just got the same set up on a Marco 3.5 cu
Didn't think I could lift the 6.0 in my truck. (no lift gate)
went with the Black 1" hose ID / 1 1/4" OD its stiff and needs a whip, next on the list of todo.
I ordered the 1-1/4 piping so when I go up in compressor size I can adjust hoses to match too.
So far it works great, the only thing that I had to adjust is the plunger that pops up to seal the tank was out of alinement. it didn't hit dead center.
other than that My son and I love it. Fast on and off and saves a lot of grit too. (unlike the air ,drain systems.)

I didn't and should have ordered the easy loading skid for the back of it. takes a beating with out it

Hope you injoy your new toy, early Xmas?

Attachments

·
Tony
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey tony,
the total with hp easy fill blast pot,tungsten carbide maxum valve w/ gate keeper,water trap,repairable deadman control,electric wire for up tp 175 feet of blasting from the battery,seperator screen for the blast pot,60 feet of green hose 10 foot whip of super flex and all the nylon twists and holders,no.5 all poly nozzle, was 4800 shipped to florida...will have it next week.

Sound nice I need to save some money

·
Todd
848 Posts
i was gonna add the protective load skid also just in case but it was alot of loot...like $350....i wont be loading it in a truck on its back i just thought it would help out on a job site if i had to load it on a lift or something...
jim ,did you get the tungsten carbide?who is your saleman?mine is sherry harrington...super good to me also.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Marco sales reps were Shelly Reyes and Becky Sloan. But there all nice there!
I went with Marco because my old employer also bought from there.
I saw how people treated the equipment… and after many years of abuse it still worked great.

I got the tungsten to. I ordered the elec trigger. Don’t like how the air ones shuts off.
The elec. is on / off instantly with no surge of grit.

Just a note: check the alignment of the plunger inside the pot
Mine was off ¼” because they over tightened the pipe (inside) going to it
I removed it and placed pipe tape on both ends to take up some space then replaced it.
Any questions on what I did give me a shout.

I wanted to go with the 600, it was a few hundred extra but I’m still working out of a pick up so space and weight is still limited.
Todd, I like the set up you got going. Saw it on another pot of yours.
Nice!

·
Todd
848 Posts
no...i sure didnt.but i ordered it late fri. afternoon.probably will go out on tues...it doesnt matter because i am struggling to find some work right now..looking but not finding.florida is above 10% unemployment and things down here suck bad for most...i am getting a call once a week looking for work from blasters out of work...from all over.hell i even heard the other day one of my best repeat customers was complaining about my prices...maybe i am gonna have to charge more...

·
Todd
848 Posts
ok i got my pot today and i really like the size of it...it is bigger than i thought...i ordered it with 1 1/4 line so i had to already reduce the inlet side of the air line down to 1 inch for my line comming from the compressor.
i would like to know how you regulate the air in the pot?i guess i overlooked that part of the order process.do i have to add one?or do i just go at it with straight air and tear up peoples stuff?(sheet metal).

another question?how do you lock the quick turn couplers from hose to whip...i really have graduated to some big stuff here and i couldnt get it to turn.are you suppose to use pliers?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts