Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for guidance, merits of steel stud vs concrete block, your insight, ideas etc.

Planning to divide a 60' wide x 300' long x 25' high to understide of roof decking industrial unit into two manufacturing areas. One side will be dirty and noisy the other area clean(ish) and "calm"!
The wall will be on line with one of the primary steel frames.

Our options are either 8" concrete block or 5-1/2" steel stud clad both sides with 3/4" FR ply and 1/2" drywall. Both options are to local codes.

Hope you are all able to offer some ideas - Thank You.

·
AmCraft Manufacturing
31 Posts
Industrial Divider Wall

Did you need some sort of acoustic barrier for this application? Or is it just a divider between a "clean" and "dirty and noisy" area?

An industrial divider wall would be able to provide you with a cleanable, movable, re-usable division. We do have acoustic options available, as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roseann

The dividing wall will need to be fixed as we do intend to attach cable runs / duct work etc.

Accoustic isolation is a consideration but not the driving factor - just want to make the "right" choice between block and steel stud.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'm a little biased, but you could fill the block with sand at a small bump up.
Call your insurance underwriter to see if they lower your premiums with the greater fire resistance/durability of CMUS over dry wall, Think flood, roof leaks etc... =pile of trash with sheetrock, just wash the block and restart operations....
At 60 lbs a square ft of wall, you only need a 12" wide footer, inside no frost.

Either product, budget bright white paint for greater productivity on both sides of the wall to the roof.

Pre frame headers in steel stud wall, or install bond beam lintels at high probability door opening in block wall, to cheapen up assembly line remodels. At least leave designated areas free of embeds for future cross traffic.
Either material, a crooked wall plan WOULD be much quieter than a straight one.
Maybe it is time to bring a noise reduction expert in or read up, and quiet down the echos? The nicer the work place, the longer the trained/skilled monkees stay, the more $$ the owners make......

any seismic specs?, you might have to post tension the 25' high 8" block and build some strong brackets at the top to the existing metal beams/columns.

I'd still be doing iron work if it wasn't soooo noisy.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Probably done already, but, for future referencers.

Concrete block 8'-12' high. Metal studs and double layered 5/8" rock on both sides up to the roof.

Old company I worked for did this all the time. Looks good and no worries about someone driving a forklift through the sheet rock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm gonna weigh in on the metal studs for the demising wall. I can't really find a justification for going with CMU if you're given the choice between the two. Metal studs will be faster, cheaper, will look better, and makes future improvements/alterations easier.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would also go withthe studs. A wall that size should have minimal waste and be a lot faster even with 2 layers on each side. No concrete to cut for a footing, I dont think a 12" footing would be adequate for a 25 'tall wall . While the wall only weighs a thousand pounds per lineal foot, I dont think I have ever seen 12" footings called out. Also the soils below play into it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts