Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
3 Jacks 2 Nines
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple box house. Footprint is 40'x24'. The roof is spanned by 2x4 trusses, t&g decking and a 1' stud and sheathed parapet. About 12 feet above grade. Wondering if you guys could tell me the preferred way to install this on a residential roof.

Just looking at the Menard's website you can get 20'x100' roll. This would cover the roof with one seam, but weighs 800 llbs. Better to use smaller more manageable rolls with perhaps more seams? How long to install? How do you get it on the roof? (Crane? Fork truck? Day laborers :cheesygri )

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Cut the sizes need on the ground and carry them up the ladder. Having one more seam wont hurt :) Use a fork lift if it's around.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Call Menards and see if their delivery people can lift it on the roof. They have booms on the delivery trucks, don't they?

Preferred way to install is by someone who has done large runs of EDPM glue down. Not hard to do ... But really easy to F:censored: up and expensive

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Just get 2 20'x50', I try to have the least amount of seams as possible, but it doesnt hurt to have more

i know this is old but get a 20x50 and a 10x50. you will loose a foot in the seam anyways so you will only get about 19.5" with a 20 footer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Perhaps a little late to the dance, but I'll give you a couple notes and hope it helps. Do you plan on insulating above the T&G deck? If not, make sure you install a separation barrier/coverboard before you install the EPDM.
Number of seams is really a very small issue when compared to more critical issues such perimeter attachment/reinforcement, proper horizontal to vertical transitions, proper edge termination, etc.
Getting materials up to the roof - many ways to do it....but make 1 thing your #1 priority - SAFETY. Many commercial roofing material suppliers have boom truck and will lift the materials to the roof for you at a cost. Pay it - $1000K lift bill beats a $15,000 OSHA fine and a $1,000,000.00 WC case to boot.
Hope this helps...but you probably have (should have) more questions - ask away and best of luck!

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
3 months ago? That's like yesterday compared to some of the other posts ive brought back from the dead.. ... you know how I love to dig in the archives and stir it up again.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Yeah, I've been meaning to talk to yal about that... if this is going to be a successful relationship... I'm going to need you guys to spice things up a bit.

I shouldnt have to resort to digging thru the archives, unearthing "half-fights" to keep things exciting. I mean... I feel like I do my part...

Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Your lack of actual knowledge and integrity make you not only an imposter but a joke...

I don't argue with idiots..

You 2 should get a room though. You can stroke each others "ego".
:laughing:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Oooooooooooo burn...

I'm curious as to how one measures the integrity of another via ct thread?

Unless we were to actually admit that we used caulk on shingles to stop leaks... I'd say neither our integrity nor our knowledge base has been compromised..

And who the heck gets a room to stroke egos?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Who doesn't use caulk on shingles to stop leaks? And who doesn't use mastic on EPDM roofs to patch them?

Am I doing it wrong? Maybe the wise one will help me out.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts