Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
30 year novice
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a wallpaper job today, it was arranged through a decorator. I usually don't do paper for decorators simply because they usually measure wrong and take doors and windows out of the area.

The paper was a heavy vinyl, it felt like commercial grade and was 27", I know an odd size but it never fazed on me. I proceeded to cut from 2 rolls, lining up the second with the pattern on the 1st, and cutting both bolts to length. I hung 1 then the second, pattern match was what I expected but the 3rd was off. I contacted the decorator and she told me she had ordered 54" paper but had them cut it in half to 27", nice timing I could have used that info from the start :censored:

Anyways is there something I could have done differently then the A and B roll method if I had known it was cut in half from the start? Thanks.

Darin

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
This reminds me of a job where I measured for paper and told the customer how much to order, he is an engineer and told me I had counted way too much, found out he deducted for all doors and windows. I told him that's not how I do it.

I only work off an A and B roll if it is a half drop match.

My question is why did she have the rolls cut in half? I think once I realized what had happened I would stop and tell them to reorder the paper or walk away, I can't see how that will come out looking good.

·
30 year novice
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It went in a powder room and she figured 54" would be too hard to handle in that small area. I would have walked away if that was all I had invested in the job but I figured I would have been burned for the work previous to the paper too. She has me booked on 2 other paper jobs and I told her if that paper has been cut count me out.

If I were making seams with strips from the same roll the match was good but when I was butting joints from 2 different rolls the match was out but about 1/8", not much I could do about it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you had four rolls (cut down from two), and label them A, B, C, D.... where A&B and C&D were from the original rolls. Couldn't you have used A&C, then C&D together, hopefully, making the change over in a corner?

·
30 year novice
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only had 3 rolls and they were not marked as to their partner they were cut from, they actually looked just the same as any roll of paper you would get, wrapped in shrink wrap plastic etc. I had no way of knowing what had been done until I tried the 3rd strip.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
You guys let interior designers bid your jobs for you off of a square foot price? Are you nuts???

Measure, bid, and order your own jobs. Maybe there's access difficulty they aren't accounting for among other things.

If you can't order the job, at LEAST get with them to spec it properly. "124' of 54" wide paper. Call me if it's a different width before ordering."

If you let them bid the jobs for you there should be clauses in your contract so they are responsible for material AND labor differences. This should also include a price for down time and scheduling problems that arise from ordering screw ups.

Oh you took out windows and doors to price it? Sorry, that's not how it's done - that area is what offsets the labor of making the cuts, and prevents material shortages. You didn't think every opening was going to fall on the edge of a roll did you? That mistake cost you this much. Would have been more if I would have run out of material also as a result!

Oh, you shorted me 3" and now I've got to come back when you can get more? Service charge! Sorry, but you cost me an extra trip so I have to. Also I'm starting another job tomorrow, so it's going to be a couple of days before I can get back out.

Explain this on the front end before they bid a job to avoid bad feelings.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Oh, you split the rolls because you thought it would make it easier for me? Nice - now you have to order the whole job over again, pay me a service charge, AND pay me for what I've already hung. Try not thinking for me next time :D

·
30 year novice
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys let interior designers bid your jobs for you off of a square foot price? Are you nuts???

Measure, bid, and order your own jobs. Maybe there's access difficulty they aren't accounting for among other things.

If you can't order the job, at LEAST get with them to spec it properly. "124' of 54" wide paper. Call me if it's a different width before ordering."

If you let them bid the jobs for you there should be clauses in your contract so they are responsible for material AND labor differences. This should also include a price for down time and scheduling problems that arise from ordering screw ups.

Oh you took out windows and doors to price it? Sorry, that's not how it's done - that area is what offsets the labor of making the cuts, and prevents material shortages. You didn't think every opening was going to fall on the edge of a roll did you? That mistake cost you this much. Would have been more if I would have run out of material also as a result!

Oh, you shorted me 3" and now I've got to come back when you can get more? Service charge! Sorry, but you cost me an extra trip so I have to. Also I'm starting another job tomorrow, so it's going to be a couple of days before I can get back out.

Explain this on the front end before they bid a job to avoid bad feelings.
I don't see where you got that I bid off a square foot price, I didn't and don't. Square foot pricing went out the window when I left new construction. I priced the paper as I always do, usually it's by the bolt unless it's a small room like this then it's done by how long I figure it will take to set up,tear down and do the job.

There was actually enough paper for the job, that wasn't the issue, if she would have been short then yes she would have gotten an extra charge for a return trip.

I've done several jobs for this designer and I give her a quote for every job, just like a regular customer, she adds her 10% to my price for her fee. She's actually pretty good and accepts my prices without trying to chew me down so when the paper job came up I thought I would give her a chance.

I have made it clear never to do this again without telling me before I price it and no I'm not nuts just a little flaky.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I don't see where you got that I bid off a square foot price, I didn't and don't. Square foot pricing went out the window when I left new construction. I priced the paper as I always do, usually it's by the bolt unless it's a small room like this then it's done by how long I figure it will take to set up,tear down and do the job.

There was actually enough paper for the job, that wasn't the issue, if she would have been short then yes she would have gotten an extra charge for a return trip.

I've done several jobs for this designer and I give her a quote for every job, just like a regular customer, she adds her 10% to my price for her fee. She's actually pretty good and accepts my prices without trying to chew me down so when the paper job came up I thought I would give her a chance.

I have made it clear never to do this again without telling me before I price it and no I'm not nuts just a little flaky.
Ok, it seemed for some reason like the designer was pricing the job. A lot of people work off of a price sheet. When I subbed flooring, one company had one price sheet, another had theirs, yet others had their own ...

All of them did things a bit differently, but the salesman would sell a job, and I'd walk in to a work order for a given sq footage. This was to complete a job to a given spec. Usually I did just fine. The occasional job where it was a bit more difficult was more than made up for by the many that were easy money. If it was TOO bad, I'd tell them they were going to have to pay more or call one of the other guys. There were other companies I wouldn't work for because their price sheets sucked, or the sales guys couldn't read a tape or spec a job.

I'll still square foot price some jobs. I adjust for things like tight access, or moving big heavy furniture, and have a minimum to account for small jobs.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Also designers have always been the biggest pain in the neck for me - next to subbing for gc's. My price is higher for them than direct to customer to begin with. The PITA charge. At least the designers don't usually get into the bargain basement haggling like a lot of GC's - those guys will wear you out to the point you wonder why you wasted your time bidding the job :D No, I won't do the job for 1/3 of my bid LOL!

Well hopefully this is one of those where the designer usually makes you money, and this is the one where they eat the material, and you eat the wasted labor, and it gets made up for with the next home runs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts