Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I'll put an outlet on both sides of the window, and hope it passes. They'll only be off by 6" each. :rolleyes:

Not my design, but now I gotta deal with it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts
If it doesn't, send the red tag to the designer and demand to know how to correct it and who to send the bill to for the extra.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If it doesn't, send the red tag to the designer and demand to know how to correct it and who to send the bill to for the extra.
The designer's error doesn't let the general or the electrician off the hook. I'd raise the issue beforehand. If the designer and homeowner want to go ahead, then it's clear who's paying for the fix if it doesn't fly.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
As a GC, I feel it's my duty to warn clients of the dangers of designers:laughing:

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Put a sink in the middle.
My thoughts exactly. I don't think I've ever seen a window low enough to a counter to prevent an outlet unless there was a sink there.

You maybe could put an outlet in the backsplash of the counter although don't know what code would say about it being so close to the surface.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I don't think I've ever seen a window low enough to a counter to prevent an outlet unless there was a sink there.

You maybe could put an outlet in the backsplash of the counter although don't know what code would say about it being so close to the surface.
There's no minimum height from the c'top, but fooking designers like to make the window glass the backsplash.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
OP - 480 is a negative Nancy :laughing:

“If” the sun comes up tomorrow, call you inspector and ask about “If” #3.

Regarding “If” #1 – don’t ask the cabinets if they’ll “allow it” – find a way to make it happen and just tell those cabinets it’s going to happen.

Regarding “If” #2 – The customer wants it! It’s too cool not to have. Or take the approach that it “must” happen, if there are no better options to pass inspection available. (Be careful here – see below).

“If #4” is the biggy. If you don’t think you can sell it, have the designer sell it – it should be the designer’s ass that is on the line. But, if I were the HO, I would ask you why you didn’t catch this problem before you took the project. That’s a tough one. I assume you had plans and walked the project. Call the designer and ask if he/she has Errors and Omissions Insurance and when asked why, tell her/him of the cost of the solution (there’s a deal to be brokered here).

Remember, problem finders are a dime a dozen. Problem solvers are worth their weight in gold :thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love your post, DaVinci. You are a true professional. :thumbup:

Fortunately, it's not that complicated. Not sure who designed it, might be a "composite" thing, but the HO is building it. He's a concrete contractor, and one of the best in the area. I've had the pleasure of being on a few jobs where he was a concrete sub. His work is top-notch, but there are a few things that I've picked up that he's missed, just in the couple days I've been there. He's older and more experienced than me, so sometimes it's kind of hard (for me) to point things out.

Anyway, the kitchen design seems a bit fluid at this point. There are two windows where the cabinets go, and a sink is already under one of them. I was just called in to do the electrical, and then the plumbing after his plumber bailed on him. :rolleyes: The HO pulled the permits and is sitting on inspections, so I'll just point it out to him, and let him decide. :smile:

As an aside, I've read about the pop-ups not meeting code, but I never did understand it. If someone cares to enlighten me, I will be forever grateful.

As another aside, I don't usually like to bag on other guys work, but the plumber he had, he's been doing this for 25 or 30 years, and it's good, basic plumbing, but little things, like he put the vent for the toilet directly under a window. (Slab-on-grade.) Should've moved it 3 feet, and come up in an empty wall cavity, and then I wouldn't have had to butcher 5 studs to route it.

Tub drain is not where the HO wanted it. And there is no box. Presumably, the trap is buried in the concrete. :eek:

O.K. Now I'm done. Sorry for the long post.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts