Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·


Anyone else use these things? I had one a while back, broke it and forgot about it. Picked one up similar to the one above, but it's got a bottle opener, built in screwdriver in the handle etc.

These are great tools for cutting old caulking, scraping paint, etc etc. Very handy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,471 Posts
I have always heard that one called a painters scraper. The curved section is for squeegeeing ? paint rollers.
 

·
Pro Painter
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Yes...we call it a 5 in 1. The half moon cut out is for cleaning excess paint from rollers by scraping it down the side. I constantly sharpen mine, and I can cut a steak with it if I needed to. Peels paint off like butter. The one I have now has been with me for about 3 years allready, and it's still going strong. I do like the 10 in 1 tools with the screwdriver...You know how many outlet covers have escaped me before painting? Has a hole in it for pulling nails too doesn't it? That's the only part that doesn't work so good if yours has that....

The picture looks like a typical 5in1, but says 6in1. A 5 in 1 is usually considered a:
1.) Scraper
2.) Putty knife
3.) Roller cleaner
4.) Knife/cutter
5.) Straight edge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AAPaint said:
I do like the 10 in 1 tools with the screwdriver...You know how many outlet covers have escaped me before painting? Has a hole in it for pulling nails too doesn't it? That's the only part that doesn't work so good if yours has that....

That's the one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
AAPaint said:
Yes...we call it a 5 in 1. The half moon cut out is for cleaning excess paint from rollers by scraping it down the side. I constantly sharpen mine, and I can cut a steak with it if I needed to. Peels paint off like butter. The one I have now has been with me for about 3 years allready, and it's still going strong. I do like the 10 in 1 tools with the screwdriver...You know how many outlet covers have escaped me before painting? Has a hole in it for pulling nails too doesn't it? That's the only part that doesn't work so good if yours has that....

The picture looks like a typical 5in1, but says 6in1. A 5 in 1 is usually considered a:
1.) Scraper
2.) Putty knife
3.) Roller cleaner
4.) Knife/cutter
5.) Straight edge

The "6" is the little metal piece on the butt end for setting drywall nails.

Doesn't really work that well, but thats what they say it does.
 

·
...jammin
Joined
·
5,234 Posts
PPro said:
The "6" is the little metal piece on the butt end for setting drywall nails.

Doesn't really work that well, but thats what they say it does.
Ha ha
My new one said it was for tapping closed paint cans
My old one I don't remember what it said, but I've had it since the '80s
And if you say you remember the '80s...

It's another of those items I need to paint
I simply will not work without it
That's why I bought the new one, I thought I lost the old one
I really could not go a full day painting w/o one

Tip: Wrap your rag around the pointy end and use that to clean up your trim or ceiling/wall edge
:Thumbs:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top