Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a 5" engineered hardwood hickory floor by Shaw in my kitchen/dining area and was wondering what the best method would be for install. Its the real stuff. Not the stuff that has the fuzz core. I don't want to glue it to the subfloor as I'm 25 and will have to remove it someday down the road.

Is there benefit to stapling as well as gluing the tongue and grove? Longest span is 25' both ways. It will run parallel to my longest wall in the kitchen.

Will 15 lb roofing felt suffice for underlayment?

I'm going to buy a stapler. I'm thinking bostich, is there a specific model that you recommend?

You can see in the pic below I'm planning on putting in an island. I'll frame up a 2x6 wall. I assume I'm going to want to have this in before the hardwood. Could it go in on top of the hardwood as I don't have my kitchen design nailed down yet?

Thanks for the insight.

Attachments

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
No need to glue and staple. 15lb felt will be fine, Aquabar is better but not necessary. Powernail makes the best 18ga gun from what everyone I've talked to that's used one says. I'd try to have the framing done prior to the floor but you could always cut it out for the bottom plate later.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to glue and staple. 15lb felt will be fine, Aquabar is better but not necessary. Powernail makes the best 18ga gun from what everyone I've talked to that's used one says. I'd try to have the framing done prior to the floor but you could always cut it out for the bottom plate later.
Good call. I'll just cut it out later.

Flooring is 3/8 thick. I figures everyone would use staples for this. 18 ga sounds like the bigger nailers???

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Hickory floor, LED lights...damn for a 25 year old you sure do have a freaking nice house!

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
The only way I will install 3/8 is glue down. If you want the best install method that's it. I'd look into that Stauf adhesive Chuck mentioned or Mapei 975/980. The only downside to 980 is it expands a bit so if you stop in the middle of a room at the end of a day and try to join up with it the next day you will have problems. Bosticks BST or Best are good adhesives also.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hickory floor, LED lights...damn for a 25 year old you sure do have a freaking nice house!
I work at a lumber yard. I get cost plus on everything. My dad is a plumber, free. I get cost plus on all my HVAC geothermal setup because of where my dad works. I did basically everything besides set trusses on the addition and the basement work, sweat equity. A relative of mine is a big dog in an industry that uses a lot of Shaw flooring. I'm getting my hickory floor and carpet at production cost straight from the factory.

Its all about hard work and having the right connections. Chits still expensive though... I'm ready to get this done so I can start making money again. Only being able to work 50 hrs a week has put a serious damper on my tool buying....

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only way I will install 3/8 is glue down. If you want the best install method that's it. I'd look into that Stauf adhesive Chuck mentioned or Mapei 975/980. The only downside to 980 is it expands a bit so if you stop in the middle of a room at the end of a day and try to join up with it the next day you will have problems. Bosticks BST or Best are good adhesives also.
My bad, I had a brain fart. It is 1/2" thick. Staple good for this?

Link to brochure:

https://services.shawinc.com/ProductInformation/ProductBulletin.aspx?StyleNumber=SW433&ColorNumber=00191

·
Paul
4,120 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've done plenty of 1/2 inch with a Bostich Floor Runner. It's not recommended, but I dare you to pull one of those ridiculous little staples out. Uggh.

·
Do Work!
48 Posts
this looks like the exact same flooring i put in my house. Really good looking stuff!!!! I glued it right to the slab and hated it!!!! I'm not sure what kind of glue they sold me, but it's still tackey after being down for a year. i have 1 spot i didnt get leveled and if you step on it just right the floor gives, sticks for a second or 2 and pops back up.
We actually just did a kitchen remodel and the flooring guys installed engineered hardwood with 15# felt and a stapler. It looks really good but its definitely missing the hardwood sound when walked on. It sounds kind of cheap.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this looks like the exact same flooring i put in my house. Really good looking stuff!!!! I glued it right to the slab and hated it!!!! I'm not sure what kind of glue they sold me, but it's still tackey after being down for a year. i have 1 spot i didnt get leveled and if you step on it just right the floor gives, sticks for a second or 2 and pops back up.
We actually just did a kitchen remodel and the flooring guys installed engineered hardwood with 15# felt and a stapler. It looks really good but its definitely missing the hardwood sound when walked on. It sounds kind of cheap.
I just posted pics of the finished job in another thread on the flooring forum about shaw hardwoods if you want to see the finished product.

I used 15 lb felt and staples. Feels very solid to me but I don't do flooring for a living.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts