Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
No they have a type x 1 hr fire rated light weight and a light weight that is only rated for 3 min. The type x is more money in ultra light

·
Registered
34 Posts
speaking of lightweight -- do you folks hang 1/2" ultralight weight for ceilings ? My shoulders and back love anything that reads "ultralight weight" My next job I plan on working alone and if it's industry best practice to hang 1/2" against 16 oc, my shoulders and back thank you!

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Why have 5/8 lightweight that isn't fire rated when they have 1/2" lightweight for walls and ceilings?

Sound?
I haven't seen any 1/2 lightweight put up on a ceiling that was 24 oc. I think that is the main reason.

The homes that get built around here will use 1/2" on ceiling with 16 oc joist. But I think that's only because there is no inspector in this particular county. One county over and I think you would have to use a type x that had the proper fire rating.

We stock certainteed 5/8 type x and certainteed 1/2 easi-lite. I stock about 15-20 houses/yr with drywall and am amazed at the weight difference between 1/2 light weight and 5/8 type x.

Fun fact, checked this out this morning out of curiosity.

Certainteed easi-lite 4'x12'x1/2 = approx 60 lbs
Certainteed type x 4'x12'x5/8 = approx 105 lbs (2.2 lbs

I wonder what is going to hold a fire back better from moving through a house? :no:

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
All the L/W boards are garbage ! Ya may as well hang the job with sheets of cardboard. IT'S WEAK! There making this trash to cut down on transportation cost,,They can ship more board.

I refuse to use it. I hope that sooner than later they will stop making this trash ...It's a shame to see people spending their money on a really bad idea some manicured fingered pencil neck jacka$s come up with to make the manufacture more money!!!! AND! The balls to call It high strength ??? LOL!!! It's unreal what these people will do to cut cost !

Light weight sheet rock Is a very very very poor product ! That's how I feel about ,and all the smoke blowing reps know I'm right.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have had zero, and I mean zero, problems with lightweight type drywall. We have been using it everywhere we can for 2 years now. I'm not even sure who stocks regular 1/2 now.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
we have had zero, and i mean zero, problems with lightweight type drywall. We have been using it everywhere we can for 2 years now. I'm not even sure who stocks regular 1/2 now.
diy

1 - 20 of 55 Posts