Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kowboy
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Florida Plumbing license through a qualifier, but I'm going to take the test in October. The test is a proctored and timed open book examination. You have to raise your hand to go pee, just like in 3rd grade. Passing the exam isn't so much knowing plumbing as it is about knowing which book to look up the answer in. The only way to get good at that is to pay tuition at a school and that's $2,095.00. The books are $1,251.00.

I'm going to pay Licenses Etc. Inc., $1,200.00 to guide me through the paperwork and bureaucracy. Throw in the state fees of a couple hundred bucks and an overnight in Kissimmee and you're right about 5 large. With driving to class and tests, I'll bet I'll spend at least 40 but probably closer to 100 unpaid hours, but I'm not complaining.

Product Font Rectangle Snapshot Paper
Book Font Material property Publication Paper

Sample test questions.

·
Registered
GC
1,024 Posts
Good luck on the test. I'd guess $5k is peanuts compared to what you pay your qualifier.

Back in 86 when I took the California B license test it was fairly easy. Back then there was a company that translated California license law into English and sold it for a few bucks. That was a tremendous help.

·
Registered
302 Posts
So tell us how this works in FL. What is a Plumbing License?
In MI, there is a Journeyman license, a Master's license and a Plumbing Contractor license.
Does FL only have one level? And can you take the exam with no demonstrated apprenticeship/employment?

·
Kowboy
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
G&Co.:

I run a sink replacement business and Florida considers sink replacements plumbing. That means you've gotta have a plumbing license. They are crazy strict down here; they set up unlicensed contractor stings regularly with a Craigslist ad and a vacant house. They bust 'em for worker's compensation fraud simultaneously; virtually none have the exemption for themselves or the comp on any employees.

My plumber and I applied to the state for her to "qualify" me, they blessed the relationship after vetting, and gave me my own license number. When I pass, I'll be a licensed plumber with no qualifier.

To answer your question, there are varying prerequisites for eligibility for the license. A person with a 4-year construction management degree may apply without ever having glued a piece of PVC in their life. I've got enough formal education and experience now to qualify.

I believe there is only one level of plumbing contractor licensing. I have a Florida Building Contractor's license which allows me to build anything up to 3 stories high. Since I've had it for more than a year, I could upgrade to a General Contractor's license and build skyscrapers, but it seems silly. There is also a Residential Contractors license.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Good luck on the test. Is there any guarantee that you will pass attached to the course fee? And … asking for a friend ... can you retake the first picture without the ipad in the way?

·
Kowboy
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck on the test. Is there any guarantee that you will pass attached to the course fee? And … asking for a friend ... can you retake the first picture without the ipad in the way?
Camtech claims to have a 90% pass rate, but I doubt I'll get a refund if I fail. I took the picture the way I planned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts