Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Office depot. Found a 4g tablet for a good price. I really just want the thing to process credit cards, and perhaps some music, or in the field internet stuff, in case of needing info on the fly.

The 4g tablet cost $85, whereas the 8g was $250. My question: is there a big difference?

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Went to Office depot. Found a 4g tablet for a good price. I really just want the thing to process credit cards, and perhaps some music, or in the field internet stuff, in case of needing info on the fly.

The 4g tablet cost $85, whereas the 8g was $250. My question: is there a big difference?
Do you mean 4 GB?

I don't think 8G or 16G are yet invented.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,288 Posts
4 gig is a bit limited; but if you really aren't going to do much other than what you stated, it would probably do. Be aware that it will probably have a relatively slow processor.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
You'll probably find more uses for it once you have one, and those cheepy ones will probably leave a bad taste in your mouth because of their poor performance. Samsung has a 7" tablet floating around for a reasonable price http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-7-0-tablet-with-8gb-memory-white/9329049.p?id=1219013208485&skuId=9329049 or the nexus 7 is a good option as well. https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb_2013

Both of these tablets will do what you want and do them very well, they will also do so much more that you'll learn after owning for a little bit.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
They'll both work great for you, the cheapest one will probably blow you away (you have low expectations).

Of quick note... these will need to be connected to wi-fi to browse the Web, you could tether them to your phone the few times you need it. To get one that works data over cell networks you'll pay 300 or more and then 20+ a month for a data plan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do the tablets have a "micro sd card reader"?

If they do, you can simply just add a sd card to get extra storage. If they don't, 4gb is a little on the small size - it will depend how much stuff you want to store

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your smart phone will do just what you want, process cc, access web for product specs, and store your music
Don't want to go the smart phone route. I have been known to crack, moisture damage,...etc phones throughout the years. I would do so, if necessary. But think it would be a lot less expensive to simply buy a tablet.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
You'll need a a tablet with it's own internet connection if you plan on using it for CC transactions. IMO the best bang for the buck right now is the Nexus 7. If I were you I'd save a few bucks and get the 2012 version with 3G. You can find them for $200-250 and they work great and will for a long time because it still has pretty good hardware spec's and since it's the google version it will always be up to date with the software.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts