Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The door I am looking for is Solid Mahogany,slightly elaborate with an arched 3 light at the top. Jeld-wen won't be able to fabricate this door, they are more geared to basic styles and uses composites in or on most of their doors. I appreciate the info Nanzan and thanks you but they won't work in this case.

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't fabricate doors D. - there is no money in doing such and is cost prohibitive (IMO). The door in question is very close to 5 figures , if I had the machinery I still would not make this- If I did ,I would have to add another 1/3 on top of what this door is going to cost . A designer/cad in a fully furnished door manufacturing facility can punch the specs in, it gets spit out to a cnc milling machine.........I can't compete with that,,,,,,,...

Some areas are best left to those that are specifically geared for items like this.

JMPOV,

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me put it to you this way.....

As I said before , even If I could make the door, I wouldn't be doing this project....I would price myself write out..........

Period.

Forget about pride ....it's about business.....

B,

·
designer + carpenter
556 Posts
The door I am looking for is Solid Mahogany,slightly elaborate with an arched 3 light at the top. Jeld-wen won't be able to fabricate this door, they are more geared to basic styles and uses composites in or on most of their doors. I appreciate the info Nanzan and thanks you but they won't work in this case. B,
I've had our JeldWen rep match exactly what we drew for door designs, in fact I sent them our AutoCad drawings. We've had both custom solid wood as well as Aurora fiberglass doors (hard wood rails, stiles, & frames). They can make you whatever you want. The Auralast wood has a great warranty. Give me a call.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/catalog/exterior-doors/custom/wood

·
Artist and not a curator
14,854 Posts
Personally, I think you're short changing yourself. Cabinet doors can't be compared with in price for what I/most can do them for but custom entry doors can. 1 huge selling point to the owner is that you will control the quality, and therefore it will cost slightly more than some manufacturer but after all, it is custom.

I made 7 last year that made me a bunch of money but I will say i was extremely hesitant at first.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree! This year we did 12 custom entry systems, as well as over 50 custome interior door systems and slabs. When I get to my shop I will post pictures of the display doors, they are not special but when I had fancy doors on display no one asked about them.

im about an hour and a half from bflo and am more than willing to meet and discuss your needs as well as bring samples and portfolios

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are killing me...literally, we are worlds apart here in the logical business department.

I'll respond to this in a bit....in transit....

All I am going to say is ,...I want you to think about the math - time vs profit. As I said,...even if I could - I am not doing it-PERIOD!

As far as my client, pictures,...etc..etc....

It will be discussed if need be in the "special room"......

B,

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You guys are killing me...literally, we are worlds apart here in the logical business department.

I'll respond to this in a bit....in transit....

All I am going to say is ,...I want you to think about the math - time vs profit. As I said,...even if I could - I am not doing it-PERIOD!

As far as my client, pictures,...etc..etc....

It will be discussed if need be in the "special room"......

B,
($10,000 - Mahogany - glass - door knob) / Few hours = Profit

Like that?:whistling

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.