Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with an Overhead Door (r) of this size? This is for a small hangar door in North Pole, Alaska. The R17 and air sealing is appealing and I've had great luck with their 16' doors for garages in this environment.

I've seen a few in use but mostly I see bifold doors or single piece hydra lift doors, which are way more expensive.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Anyone have experience with an Overhead Door (r) of this size? This is for a small hangar door in North Pole, Alaska. The R17 and air sealing is appealing and I've had great luck with their 16' doors for garages in this environment.

I've seen a few in use but mostly I see bifold doors or single piece hydra lift doors, which are way more expensive.

I have no experience with Overhead Doors, or the others you mention, that wide. I've seen more hanger doors suffer damage from wind when open, or in use, it seems. (barn doors) Have you given any thought to building a dolly that could ferry the plane in sideways and reduce the need for such a large door? Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I think it would be too much sag... Have you talked to an ohd salesman?

Bifold or bypass slider would be more common

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Timeless,

I talked to OHD. They are engineered for wind at that size. They add C-channel to each panel to add stiffness so it doesn't sag when open.

Bifold is common but has its own issues, and I think the sliders don't air seal well, but I've only framed hangars, this is the first door I'm responsible for.

OHD did show me a 40'er in service at a welding shop that's been there for a while and seems to be working well. I might stop in and ask the owner how it's doing.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We do a lot of 40' doors. None of them are OHD but they are all engineered about the same. They work great, have faster opening speeds and they last well.
I never really thought how big of an advantage faster operation could be when it's 40 below zero.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts