Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Wearer of Hats
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, we were supposed to come in and paint on the main level of this house, and the floor was completed last Wednesday. I specifically mentioned (in front of the HO) that we'd be using blue tape and paper to protect the floor and mask it, and the owner of the flooring company said that would be fine. Of course, after only 4 hours of being down today, the tape pulled up much of the polyurethane.

Report from my guy on the site doing other work while they finished the floor: the guy stained and put the first coat of polyurethane in the same day, which I thought was a big no-no. He didn't think to mention it until I asked specifically what the guy did while he was there. The poly is water-based, 3 coats. I have attached a photo.

So my question is this: will the adhesion ever be good on a floor like this, or will it always be an issue and start to flake off as the floor moved and gets walked on? Also, is it reasonable to expect after 5 days of curing for a new floor to be able to handle 3M blue tape?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
So long story short, we were supposed to come in and paint on the main level of this house, and the floor was completed last Wednesday. I specifically mentioned (in front of the HO) that we'd be using blue tape and paper to protect the floor and mask it, and the owner of the flooring company said that would be fine. Of course, after only 4 hours of being down today, the tape pulled up much of the polyurethane.

Report from my guy on the site doing other work while they finished the floor: the guy stained and put the first coat of polyurethane in the same day, which I thought was a big no-no. He didn't think to mention it until I asked specifically what the guy did while he was there. The poly is water-based, 3 coats. I have attached a photo.

So my question is this: will the adhesion ever be good on a floor like this, or will it always be an issue and start to flake off as the floor moved and gets walked on? Also, is it reasonable to expect after 5 days of curing for a new floor to be able to handle 3M blue tape?
was it delicate surface tape you used or standard blue tape. It really shouldn't matter as i have never lifted a floor finish with either but just curious as 3m recommend nothing but delicate on finished floors. your tape is also only taking it up in places which suggest's the finish had not stuck well at all in places.

·
Wearer of Hats
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Standard Blue tape, but certainly not some cheap off-brand. I've never had tape pull up the finish on a hardwood floor yet unless it was an already destroyed hardwood that had suffered abuse and been damaged. Also, I planned to have the tape on for no longer than 2 days while we painted everything. I applied it at noon today to start our priming, and was going to have it off by Wednesday at noon at the latest as we finished up all of our painting. I even stuck a test strip down in a discrete location and it didn't pull up anything after sitting for 20 minutes. Now though as I pull up tape, it's pulling up the finish everywhere.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Years ago, I had standard 3M blue tape pull a finish off of a floor.

Finish was 2 weeks old.

Stain was a minwax that hadn't cured fully before the painter went over it with a SW poly.

Granted this was over 12 years ago that this happened, but it gave me concern as it gives you concern now.

I had the floor refinisher sand back the two square feet that was in question.

The painter was called, but never returned the call.

I lost his number that day.

The finish may still be a bit fragile or the stain wasnt cured, in your case, IMHO, but I'll let the floor experts here give you a definitive answer.

FWIW, This is just my experience.

P.S.: haven't had it happen since, but a few words of advise:

Don't leave blue tape on a "finished" surface for more than 7-10 days, and don't let it bake in the sun for that long either, I.e;

In the shadow of full length windows, on the interior, on a finished surface.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Years ago, I had standard 3M blue tape pull a finish off of a floor.

Finish was 2 weeks old.

Stain was a minwax that hadn't cured fully before the painter went over it with a SW poly.
Seems to be SOP for the locals around here too (minwax/water poly - shoot em both down same day).

Didn't I get learned that water & oil don't mix as a kid? hmm...

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I hate using tape for anything because of the potential for such collateral damage. I heard Frog Tape is supposed to be really good. It's expensive.

I know we must mask off from time to time, but I hate it for that reason

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I had some blue tape pull the finish off of hardwood that was 15 years old, I learned the hard way. No blue tape on hardwood!

I think it says right on the roll, not for use on hardwood flooring or something like that.

Dave

·
Radical Basement Dweller
25,998 Posts
I hate using tape for anything because of the potential for such collateral damage. I heard Frog Tape is supposed to be really good. It's expensive.

I have started using the yellow variety exclusively.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
jb4211 said:

I understand frog tape for lining and pinstriping so as not to have the current finish paint, splotch or bleed under blue tape.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts

Oil base stain & water bourne finish, yes, that's a big no no & would be my bet on why the finish failed.

We finish almost exclusively with oil & stain with quick dry oil based finish. Light colors, I can finish in 4 hours, dark colors, 6 hours. If I stain first thing in the morning, I can put finish on late in the day. But usually, I wait till the next day.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
It's not the tape's fault (or yours). The blame goes to the floor guys. 5 days is more than enough time to cure so the tape doesn't pull the finish. The stain wasn't allowed to dry before the water finish was put on. You can stain and oil poly the same day (not recommended, but can be done if conditions are right), but never with waterborne. Plus, Minwax is horrible stuff to use under waterborne. Should have used Duraseal instead.

Edit - pinwheel beat me to it. ^^^ What he said ^^^

·
Registered
3,439 Posts

I find Frog tape superior to the blue stuff. The blue stuff no matter what the brand either sticks too well or doesn't stick well enough.

But I agree it's not the tape's fault.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Kinda of a milky look to the finish, like the stain bled. Five days should be sufficient unless it was extra cool.

Both minwax and duraseal oil base stains recommend 24 to 48 hours before coating. I have always stained and waited overnight before coating.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I've had blue tape pull the finish with some of the wood attached to it too.:eek:

Always tape with caution. And there is a technique involved in removing it. :thumbsup:

As far as this thread...........I agree with the above posters.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Factory finish hardwoods we gluedown using regular masking tape, we've been thru at least 60 rolls , if it can't handle the tensile strength of low adhesion and it should have cured already, who shall we tell, the homeowner or the finisher? Cause somebody done somebody wrong

·
Registered
35 Posts
realistically on a properly applied and dried poly floor you should be able to use tuck tape on it and not damage the floor. 5 days is probably cutting it a little close for tuck tape but painters tape should definately be no problem.
Either the poly was applied way too thick and isn't dry and may with luck correct itself or it wasn't prepped right and the floor will need to be resanded.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts