Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working in a boiler room and am reassembling some 3inch cpvc pipes , but I am having problems with busting out at the conections. I am using the grey cpvc glue and industrial cleaner. Allowing at least 3-6 hours drying time but when re starting the system I am having pipes burst after an hour or 2 of no leaks at all. Any ideas would be great?....?.???

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have no idea, what primer are you using?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been only doing up to about six hours and that may be the problem, their is also an in line circulation pump that should push open a check valve to complete a circulation loop but the pump although it's new cuts off after a minute of running and has to reset. We are dealing with about 150psi of pressure through a heater. Thinking the pressure is backing up and maybe that combined with heat is causing the joint failures.
Any further thoughts?

·
3rd Generation
257 Posts
Is this sch80 pipe? I used to work with the stuff for similar pressures. We used heavy body cement for 3"+ and never applied pressure until next day. Make sure you clean well, apply glue well on both surfaces while primer is still wet, and hold that sucker tight after a 1/8 turn of pipe. 4"+ is a pain to hold together.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
CHECK THE DATE on the cans, You may have just picked it up but shelf life is NOT what it used to be and not all places care if things are expired.

I have had a few problems in the last year doing electrical with outdated glue.

I have a small magnifier in my wallet and will look at glues, silicone, extra when buying for a date, often it is so small or faded I can't see without magnification

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have moved my drying time from 6 to 24 hours and will try it test today. I am a little concerned that the pipe is not in a position where I can do a quarter turn or any turn at at. It's just push and hold so I have strapped it together so that I no it will not work it's way loose while drying

1 - 8 of 8 Posts