Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I work in the feature film industry as a 3d modeler. I'm planning to take my skills into another direction. I've done some research regarding the average customer and if they would like the service of 3d visualization to assist them in making the proper decision on whatever home decorating, landscaping, or design issue they make potentially approach. I recieved some good feedback from them.

By no means am i a architectural designer, or renovator, )apart from having autocad experience) I would simply be a visual tool, so they can grasp the idea of what they are planning on doing much better. This would be photorealistic imagery, super-imposed on pictures or entirely computer generated.

I realize this idea isnt anything new nowadays, and i know that alot of contractors use previous projects as portfolio pieces, which is understable, but as a builder, having a customer spending thousands on a patio, driveway, deck, whatever it may be, i would want to provide 100% customer satifaction. I find this is an excellent way to achieve this, this would be geared to those companies that do everything the old fashioned way.

Id like to hear your thoughts, preferably general contractors, renovators, that have had customers ask them about this particular service.

Thanks for your time.

max

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I've never had a customer request it. I think the problem with this type of service like many high tech services and service proposed that push the envelope is that if you poll people would you like it, everybody would say yes, then the reality of the cost and the time involved to produce it starts to show that most people if polled after going through the process would say it wasn't necessary.

If it's free and you can provide it instantly or within 30 seconds I think it would be a great service, if it doesn't meet those criteria I think the reality will be that not enough value will be seen in it by a customer or contractor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replying to last post

thanks for your opinion on this matter mr. Finley,

By my understanding from your reply, you have never promoted such a service. Most people that arent in our industry and have no knowledge of this service, and may not even know it existed. At a reasonable cost (added to the price, if they reqiured it), when it came down to it. im positive a good percentage of customers would consider it, infact, i find it would be an edge over your competition.

What if they are undecided about two particular products, it can reduce the headache for the customer....

max

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
lazzz said:
Most people that arent in our industry and have no knowledge of this service, and may not even know it existed.
Don't be so sure. Most of the CAD software in the last 10 years has offered some sort of 3D modeling or virtual tour feature. The fundamental objection is that it is time consuming to produce such a model/tour and is therefore also expensive. Many architects are offering this type of rendering service to high end customers. Close to me, such as model had to be produced to get the historical society's approval on a new building. Sorry, but the idea ain't new or novel.

This 3D modeling would be most helpful if it could be done on a laptop, in the customer's home, in a minute or so. This would help at the time of the sale in order to answer objections and close the deal.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
lazzz said:
im positive a good percentage of customers would consider it, infact, i find it would be an edge over your competition.
I would love for you to define exactly what a 'customer' is in your mind in regard to who you are refering to targeting this to. In addition I would love for you to define in numerical values what you consider a "good percentage" is.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I work for a design group that has fantastic software. I have posted it here before. It is really big stuff, think Lucas +.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts