Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks Dom and StoneCutter for directing me to the Roxul. That stuff worked great. I used a huge bail of it and must have 1' of it in most areas. It was easy to break up and stuff in all the tight areas.

Having the chimney centered made the roof framing a pain the arse...for me anyway. Ill be cutting the rafters in a good amount as well.

Looks like I can slide an 18" pizza right into the opening. I dont think they will be made that big but good to know. My buddy works at a pizza place at night and is going to bring some pies in to 'test' the oven:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments man! I spent almost 2 hours looking for that piece at the quarry. It was hard to find a piece uniformly 5" thick and irregular.

Course I had to go and put a 'horse head' shaped stone on the top right (which i removed) and now all i see when i look at the arch is a horse.:turned:

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Unfortunately my quarry no longer has the reclaimed roofing slates and neither the client or me was willing to do the craigslist thing to find them so I switched to red cedar shingles. Also using natural cedar to trim out the roof.

Ill be using a thin veneer for the small chimney part rather than the 5" full bed stuff I used on the rest of the structure. Bumped out the copper using PT so its flush with the veneer.

Some of the stonework at the pitch is unfinished- Ill be adding flush mount low-voltage LED's in the roof

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thankfully that elephant is only because of the low-voltage wire hanging over it!:eek: but it was 100% elephant in that picture.

Pizza! This was my first attempt and it was better than most any pizza ive ever had. Sausage, green peppers, onions, garlic, bacon, and fresh mozzarella. Used alfredo sauce rather than tomato.

Attachments

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
I cook the big pies on a screen too, but only for about 45 seconds, then I take them off. If you are using low duty firebrick you will find that this works for you too. It allows for more even cooking top and bottom.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts