Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
In the end, build a fire in the darn thing and it will cook. I've seen some VERY rustic and poorly build ovens work pretty good. Efficient no, hold heat all night? No, but I bet 3/4 of backyard WFOs cook pizza for a couple hours then evryone gets drunk and passes out. Seen it happen more than once. LOL

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
got rained out today, but i put up the first 2 courses of arched brick. I wasnt thinking and started the row toward the arch so now the stack bond occurs right at back of the oven :censored:. Not sure what i was thinking there. Now im gonna be staring at that for the rest of the job.

Question- I will not be using the ceramic fiber blanket. What is the best way to gain a little more insulation over the dome? I plan on parging over the dome with 1/2" or so of heatstop. I figured maybe another 3" of portland/vermiculite over that, followed by loose perlite to fill the void. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
got rained out today, but i put up the first 2 courses of arched brick. I wasnt thinking and started the row toward the arch so now the stack bond occurs right at back of the oven :censored:. Not sure what i was thinking there. Now im gonna be staring at that for the rest of the job.

Question- I will not be using the ceramic fiber blanket. What is the best way to gain a little more insulation over the dome? I plan on parging over the dome with 1/2" or so of heatstop. I figured maybe another 3" of portland/vermiculite over that, followed by loose perlite to fill the void. Thoughts?
I use Roxul safe-n-sound (mineral wool)....current oven has 6" in some places. I've also covered it with loose perlite. I've got above ambient tempuratures in my oven for three days with no coals, 7 with. Insulating ratchets the oven performance way up...don't skimp. Put as much as you can in there.

You'll loose a bit of insulating value using perl/verm-crete. Use the mineral wool batt insulation with or without loose fill.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I finished the dome a while back and just grabbed a pict. the picture isnt that great... i had to use the iphone flash on the camera which doesnt work so well. Took another 9 man hours to complete the dome from the last photo. So about 200 firebrick and 4 50lb bags of HeatStop total.

once I started the 6th row I used 1/3 brick and abandoned the form. I found it easier to just free hand it so i could have better sight lines. Ive moved on to the stone/block work and will get back to the front arch shortly.

Any thoughts on door construction? What do you guys use or suggest?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Stone cutter made a bad ass oak door held together with square pegs. It's unreal, but he also made his own peel and drilled all the holes and then beveled them all so he's kind of a mad genius ir something. It';s in his build thread

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Stone cutter made a bad ass oak door held together with square pegs. It's unreal, but he also made his own peel and drilled all the holes and then beveled them all so he's kind of a mad genius ir something. It';s in his build thread

You got that right. And don't forget he carved a beautiful stone opening to the oven out of a block of stone swiped from the Vatican and the oak came from the galley door of the Mayflower.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Cap, there are some door pics on post #333. I've requested that the thread to the masonry section.

As an update, I just took these pictures of the door today, almost 8 months later. No charing on the wood, everything looks fine. Cap, the metal panels are SS from my old gas grill, stuffed with mineral wool. Standoffs and rivets are stainless.
image.jpg

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
That is a beautiful door. I need to build an outer door like that one, my inside door works pretty well. I cranked it up yesterday to cook some stuff for today and let my neighbor cook some things. I am going to re-fire it for pizza in a little while.

1. Cheddar stuffed jalapenos wrapped in bacon, dipped in BBQ sauce. Lightly grilled, then put in the oven to finish. The coals in the grill are from the oven.

2. Neighbor's marinated Brussels sprouts and mushrooms.

3. Neighbor's marinated shrimp.

4. Tilipia, japs, mushroom and corn in the oven.

Then I slow cooked a jerked pork tenderloin for today. The wife wants a pulled pork and onion pizza, so the wife gets a pulled pork and onion pizza.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Looking good, how did you finish the joints on the inside, just joint them?
Yes, I packed them with the heatstop. No cracking or anything as of yet.

Cap, there are some door pics on post #333. I've requested that the thread to the masonry section.

As an update, I just took these pictures of the door today, almost 8 months later. No charing on the wood, everything looks fine. Cap, the metal panels are SS from my old gas grill, stuffed with mineral wool. Standoffs and rivets are stainless.
View attachment 116173
Thats a really really nice door. It would fit my project perfect. That granite piece is impressive too. Thanks for posting those.. Ill have to check out your thread.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here is the overall scope of work. First picture is before, then my drawing, and the current state of the oven. Using a 4-6" fieldstone veneer for the walls and oven, natural cleft pattern bluestone for the flooring, and reclaimed roofing slates for the roof of the oven.

The oven structure is 5'10 across by 6'10 deep. I enjoyed cutting out the arch for the entry but after seeing stonecutters I might need to fly him back to MA to show me how its done.:eek:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 56 Posts